Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 non-turbo Automatic. Trying to replace the AT oil cooler tube. I can't seem to figure out how to get the damaged tube out. I have disconnected the hoses on both ends of the tube and removed the mounting bolts but there is a smaller diameter pipe (I believe it is the A/C pipe part # 734305A091 that is preventing me from removing the AT oil cooler tube. This A/C pipe snakes over the top of the AT cooler tube and basically pins it down. I've never missed with A/C lines and I really don't want to disconnect it, does anybody have any ideas on how I might remove the AT cooler tube w/o removing the A/C pipe? I might remove the radiator to possibly give me more room but I'm still not sure I can angle it around the A/C pipe to get it out.

I was also wondering if I could just bypass the AT oil cooler tube and just run hoses from the connections at the AT to the 2 hose connections at the bottom of the radiator. I know the hose would not be as protected as the tube would be, I also already purchased a new AT oil cooler tube but looking for any hacks or ideas to get the old one out or more importantly put the new one in without damaging it.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@2.5x_sleeper
No do not see the AT oil cooler tube in that diagram. I do see the AC pipe (#4 that is making it very if not impossible to remove the AT cooler tube. Below is a pic of the AT cooler tube that I'm trying to replace
Font Automotive exterior Auto part Drawing Line art
Part 45522 in the diagram below
Slope Font Parallel Rectangle Circle

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,013 Posts
Can you get a small tube cutter and cut out the bad section and use a short hose to replace the cut section

·
Registered
2006 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@adc I might be able to, I was thinking about doing that. I just have the new part (automatic trans cooler tube) and it would be nice to replace it without worrying about trying to patch the old tube.

Now I'm wondering if I were to remove the AC pipe so I have room to remove the old AT cooler tube and install the new one....do I need to depressurize the AC system to remove the pipe or have the freon removed professionally so I can remove the AC pipe?

·
Registered
2006 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
06 non-turbo Automatic Trans. I'm trying to replace the automatic transmission cooler tube. The A/C pipe basically snakes around the AT cooler tube and I don't think I can replace the AT cooler tube without removing the A/C pipe. My A/C works just fine. I'm wondering what the proper procedure would be to remove the A/C pipe. I've never messed with A/C lines so this is all new to me. In the diagram below the A/C pipe is #4.
Slope Font Rectangle Triangle Parallel
The part that I need to replace is 45522 (AT cooler tube) in the diagram below, and to hopefully clarify things the part #4 in the above diagram snakes around the AT cooler tube and I think I need to remove so I can install a new AT cooler tube.
Slope Font Parallel Rectangle Circle

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
525 Posts
Are you able to remove the clips that hold the A/C line down or up? If the trans cooler line is totally disconnected, you may be able to get just enough room to pull it toward the engine. This is just from looking at those line drawings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts