Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
21 Posts
The dealer said they'd take care of it! Now the problem is seeing if they can find a replacement for that little steel tube that screws into the R&P. Otherwise I guess they will have to maybe replace the entire R&P.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,567 Posts
It's good that they're willing to fix it! Unless that's a Subaru dealership, odds are good they'll try fixing it with a hose first. Perhaps even cutting off that bulge so the 3/8" hose would push up past the problem area.

Keep us updated.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
21 Posts
It's actually a Kia dealership. I emailed the used car manager some pictures and called and explained to him that it is NOT the hose interface leaking but rather the steel tube to tube seam. I think he understands the issue now. He's currently trying to find the steel tube and he's supposed to get back to me. I'm about 80% sure he won't be able to find that part. So I'm not sure if they're going to try to rework that area and try to seal it... or if they'll actually go through with a new rack and pinion replacement.

It's strange that all the rack and pinion replacements for the 2009 (every year I've checked, actually) that I've found online do not have that short hose span. They don't even seem to have the 3 lines coming out. They all seem to have only 2 lines now. Only thing I can figure is maybe Subaru realized that 3rd line with the hose was a weak point and changed the part to an updated R&P without that line....

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,567 Posts
If you haven't contacted Jackie @SubaruPartsGirl shoot her a PM. She could tell you if a replacement part can be had.

The other possibility is a recycler or wrecking yard. If it was me, I'd try the hose fix, which once installed should work, as that's appears to be the low pressure return line.

As to the Kia dealership. I bought my '07 FSXT from a Chevy/Kia dealership!

Bobby...

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
21 Posts
Waiting for the part to get to the dealer on Friday. He then has to make sure it is the correct part. So best case, it would be fixed Saturday. I can't wait that long to drive my Forester. So in the mean time, I went to Autozone and they had 1/2" Power Steering Hose. Bought 2 feet and cut it to fit over both ends of the wider diameter tube area. Then double clamped it as you suggested, @2.5x_sleeper. Filled the reservoir and PS system and drove for about an hour... no signs of a leak yet! I think it actually fixed it!!! The only thing I really had to change was moving that rusted clamp farther down the line and out of the way.

I still will bring it to the dealer to have it fixed properly. But until he gets the correct part in, I can still enjoy my Forester!

·
Registered
2005 FXT Automatic
29 Posts
Update

Found it nice someone had a similar issue. I'll leave my experience here as I felt this was left open ended.
05 FXT with 145k in Upstate NY ->Rust. I swapped the return hose for a longer PS hose and cut out the rusted metal return line where my leak was.

Found my return line that comes out of the rack was rusted through. Under the black sleeve (mentioned above as black metal line, only a sleeve though) there was a pin-sized rust hole, creating the leak. PS fluid would pour out like a full running faucet. Sorry, no pic.

My first fix (to get myself home without a PS pump cry) was using fuel injection hose clamps over the leak. I used one over the leak (purple) and two on either side with no success, but made it home. (For orientation reference, green is high-pressure supply and orange is low-pressure return from the rack to the engine bay).

I decided to replace the hose with a longer one and cut out the rusted metal line. Deleting the leak. You'll need to take off the jack plate and lift the car to give yourself space. Be patient when pulling off the hose on both ends. As shown I pulled and snapped the metal line where my rusted spot was (purple). Not a big deal, but was more careful not to do the same on the other side. Took a saw-zaw to the metal line (yellow). Took a metal file and sandpaper to metal line to smooth it out where my hose will be fitting over. Sorey, bad pic.

PS return low pressure, high temp hose SAE J2076 from Parts Plus. Unbranded, maybe Gates? Size is 3/8". I bought three feet and had plenty to spare.

All put together. Measure twice, cut once. Put two fi hose clamps on the one side due to the bend and the excess overlap I wanted to have. Been running for two days without issues. I plan to replace the line coming directly out of the rack during the summer, but this will hold for now (maybe forever if not abused). I know you can't buy this specific subaru part, but there are certainly creative ways to make this work. Cheers, Nick.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
21 Posts
As a follow up to my fix... It has been 1.5 years now since I put the fuel injector hose on past the metal barb leak and I've had no issues so far.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
21 Posts
Just to update. Been running with this fuel injector hose for about 2 years now with no issues. No leaks and the hose seems to be holding up just fine. So much so that I still have the OEM replacement tube part sitting in a box for 2 years. The dealership I bought the car from mailed me the OEM replacement parts when I complained of the PS leak I discovered shortly after I bought it and I simply haven't felt the need to replace it since this DIY fix has been working so well.

·
Registered
2006 Forester Premium Automatic
28 Posts
I have the same leak, tried this fix just without cutting out the part of the metal tube that is leaking (just tried going over with new rubber hose). It slowed the leak way down but still needing to refill resivour about every two weeks. I was actually just talking to the mechanic about this problem while I was pumping my gas and I was going to drop the car off next week. If you don't think you will ever need part mind selling it (if it fits an 06, your pics look the same as mine).

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
21 Posts
I have the same leak, tried this fix just without cutting out the part of the metal tube that is leaking (just tried going over with new rubber hose). It slowed the leak way down but still needing to refill resivour about every two weeks. I was actually just talking to the mechanic about this problem while I was pumping my gas and I was going to drop the car off next week. If you don't think you will ever need part mind selling it (if it fits an 06, your pics look the same as mine).
I plan on keeping my Forester for another 10 years if possible. So I'd like to hold on to the part in the event that the leak does come back in that time.

Are you sure you extended the new hose all the way over the hole? I also have mine double clamped. Have you tried that?

·
Registered
2006 Forester Premium Automatic
28 Posts
The hose I got was too small ID to go over the black part of the tube so it defiantly was not as long as it should have been. What ID size should I get if I wanted to go over it? And 2' would probably work right? I actually used 3 screw type compression things (2 on the hose and 1 on the end of black tube). I may try again this fall, it was just such a mess lol. I have to keep mine until 2022 so I feel ya!

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
21 Posts
I'm working on my car tonight. I'll try to remember to take a measurement of the length and diameter. Mine actually leaked at the joint of the small OD tube to the large OD tube. So I had to have the hose go over the larger OD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised (and happy) I found my exact issue. I tried just replacing the clamp, no luck.

With the help above easy fix. A couple tips if anyone does this:

For super-easy solution, get the 1/2" hose, but clamp it really well

For almost as easy solution, cut the barbs off and use the standard 3/8" hose

·
Registered
3 Posts
Working on this issue too. 1/2 in ID hose worked better than 3/8 in ID. Will have to tighten clamps up as smaller leak is coming back after 2 weeks. Same leak appeared on transmission cooler lines at front of radiator where pipe/line turns to hose. Cut off small piece of pipe and reclamped it, no leak. Amazing the metal lines deteriate before hoses.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,076 Posts
Funny how timing works on this. My '09 just started leaking last week. It is on the rearmost joint between the rubber and metal tube on the back side of the rack on the return line. Guess I will be picking up 1/2" ID fuel hose and fuel injection clamps real soon, as a three mile drive was enough to get from COLD MAX to below COLD MIN on the reservoir.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I called my local subaru dealer parts store. part was $66 locally. going to pick one up eventually. my leak has stopped though for now, Murphys Law states it will leak again so thinking proactively. Got my transmission lines ready to replace too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called my local subaru dealer parts store. part was $66 locally. going to pick one up eventually. my leak has stopped though for now, Murphys Law states it will leak again so thinking proactively. Got my transmission lines ready to replace too.
Has anyone actually replaced the entire part assembly pictured above? I have a bad leak and ordered it but it looks like it may be tricky to get to the fittings. It’s an 06 WRX. Same problem area as all that have posted here. Bought some flared metric crowfoot attachments. Anyways just looking to get some insight if anything else needs to be removed etc. Jack plate is off just gotta get a better look. Thanks in advance

21 - 40 of 44 Posts