·
Registered
2006 X Auto
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all:

06 Forester with 150K....

I have a power steering fluid leak.
The origin of the leak appears to be at the ends of the rubber hose under the car parallel to the rack and pinion. See attached photos for reference.
I went to Subaru with the intent of purchasing some hose; however, they stated I needed the entire rack and pinion assembly which comes with the rubber hose.
I haven't taken the hose off yet (since it's my only car) so I'm not 100% on the size. It's obviously 3/8" - 5/8" ID. The label on the hose is "Yokohama PSB41".
I've read the relevant DIY section, but I don't seem to be able to find exactly what sized hose it is or if it is a special type of hose (vs generic rubber hose).

Anyway, was hoping someone was able to help out - thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
599 Posts
Looks like it is the return hose (low pressure). You should be able to go to a parts store and just buy a piece of hose. They sell it by the foot.
Make sure you mention that it is for oil. (the oil would dissolve the rubber if you used a coolant hose)

It would probably be best if you brought the old hose, for size comparison.

·
Registered
2006 X Auto
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
Yeah - I've been to autozone and advanced autoparts but no joy - they only have 3/8" and a few other sizes (but not 5/8") in stock. I guess the problem is that I don't know exactly what size (ID) the hose is. Will definitely ask for fuel/oil hose when I figure out the size.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,750 Posts
Yeah - I've been to autozone and advanced autoparts but no joy - they only have 3/8" and a few other sizes (but not 5/8") in stock. I guess the problem is that I don't know exactly what size (ID) the hose is. Will definitely ask for fuel/oil hose when I figure out the size.
Another possibility is reinforced PCV hose. It comes in larger diameters and should also be oil/fuel proof.

Advanced and Autozone may not be the best places to look. You might look around for an 'old line' auto parts supplier. Where I live, NAPA, Main Auto Parts and Genuine Auto Parts would be candidates. Each of these chains operate a machine shop at at least one of their local stores - services for serious customers. So, you have your homework assignment for Saturday morning.

Finally, you might look for a local industrial and hydraulic supply. We have several local companies that make up hydraulic hoses and things like that. Companies in this field have all sorts of odd-ball hoses - a much greater selection than a retail-only auto parts store.

·
Registered
2006 X Auto
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely - I'm most likely going to have to find another autoparts supplier. Not only are the above in my area (urban NJ) poorly stocked, they are extremely poorly staffed as well (expertise-wise).

Back to the hose itself - I was very surprised how pliable that hose is. Although it is low pressure at that point in the power-steering, I didn't expect to be able to squeeze it. Anyway, I will try find a place tomorrow and get my hands on a range of sizes. I'll report back on the size if I successfully change it tomorrow. I have a 400 mile migration ahead of me on Sunday, so fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2006 FXT Auto
26 Posts
Where did you end up getting it? I'm about to order a bunch of power steering parts and can't find this either.

I'm guessing this will work, but I don't really need 5' of it.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
21 Posts
I'm having to replace the same hose for the same leak at the hose clamp. Has this 3/8" fuel hose held up for you so far without anymore leaks or issues with the hose deteriorating?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,485 Posts
@solarpowertoast I see this is your first forum, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

@Foresteire hasn't signed onto the forum since February 5, 2016, so the odds are good that he's not going to answer your question.

On the positive side, he didn't post a problem with the fix, so the hose must have worked for him.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
21 Posts
Thanks @2.5x_sleeper

Just bought the used Forester last week and I'm really loving it, except for having to add power steering fluid every 2 days. Once I can get this fixed, I can't think of a single negative to this car. I just love driving it! Sounds like fuel hose is the way to go.

·
Administrator
37,485 Posts
If you go the fuel line hose route, I'd get the hose rated for fuel injection, which costs a bit more, but can handle higher pressure. I'd also double clamp it.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
21 Posts
I bought some 3/8" fuel injection line by Dayco this morning. Put it on the car and it fit well. However this hose is smaller OD than the hose that was on the car already, so I can't reuse the spring clips as they are a bit too big to provide a good clamp. Will have to pick up some screw type hose clamps after work to get it snug enough. Thanks for the feedback.

I'll update again once I get it all tightened up and running again.

·
Administrator
37,485 Posts
Go for 100% stainless steel clamps for the longest life.

I get my hose clamps at the Home Depot. They have a pretty good assortment of reasonably priced stainless steel hose clamps.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
21 Posts
It turns out my issue isn't the hose at all. It's actually the seam where the tube welds into the black metal tube. So after all the headache of "fixing" the hose leak.... it turns out I was wrong and it's actually a bigger issue. DOH!

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
21 Posts
I think that would have a good chance of working, but I just couldn't force the 3/8 hose to stretch over that step. I'm going to give the dealership a call tomorrow and see what they can offer. Since the power steering starting whining the morning after I bought it, I know it was leaking when they had it in their inventory. I could tell they knew of the leak since there was a brand new clamp on that one end of the hose (and the old one was slid out of the way). I believe they replaced the hose clamp with a new one and called it a day without actually confirming that the clamp fixed it. I'm hoping they'll feel somewhat obligated to really fix it, but I know they'll probably not care. We'll see. Assuming they don't care, I'd like to just replace that little 8" long metal tube where it screws into the rack and pinion, but I can't find that part anywhere. All I can find is entire rack and pinion assembly.

·
Administrator
37,485 Posts
It would be good if they'd fix it, or perhaps split the repair difference with you.

As to the hose. If worse comes to worse, you could try 7/16" fuel line hose. That should push over the bump, but still be tight enough to clamp. I would double clamp it... use 2 hose clamps per hose end.

As to replacing that 8" long pipe. I'd contact Jackie, @SubaruPartsGirl here on the forum. She's a forum supporting vendor & a parts wiz! Her direct number at Annapolis Subaru is (866) 509-3019.

Tell her you're a forum member, as she gives forum members a discount!

Bobby...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts