Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have an '06 4eat trans installed in my 04 Xt. I was told the 06 has a positraction differential and that the 2 trannys are incompatible for parts interchange? C'est vrai? Or can I pop the good 04 diff into the bad 06 trans? Apparently the software is not controlled by the ECMs, only within the trannys.

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,613 Posts
I think only the 07-08 sports and the 08 xt 4eats got the vtd trans. Also I think I read that the 04 4eat was unique and an 04 can't use an auto trans from any other years.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That part's disprove-I have this 06(f that's what it is) in my 04 now and no probs other than the diff is bad(could that be the problem-incompatible diff in an 04 causing the vibes and the massive torque steering?).

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,613 Posts
That part's disprove-I have this 06(f that's what it is) in my 04 now and no probs other than the diff is bad(could that be the problem-incompatible diff in an 04 causing the vibes and the massive torque steering?).
I think 04 4eats had a 4.44 rear diff and 06's may have had a 4.11. Not certain, but that may be your problem if your front and rear diffs have different ratios.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw that one also. Maybe this is the result as my seller swears it was working fine in his 06 when he pulled it out. the sube dealer says it's likely spider gears in the diff.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so the service tech at Sube DOES say that an 06 w/viscous diff could cause these symptoms...I have a good 06 trans perhaps in an o4 and cannot swap diffs...

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
Final drive ratio is different in '04 4EAT vs. '06+, shouldn't be compatible.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Final drive ratio is different in '04 4EAT vs. '06+, shouldn't be compatible.

Stan
Wouldn't that only screw up the speedo? Whatever ratio coming out of the final splines would spin the rear at whatever rpm...no?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,581 Posts
The '06 FXT has a different final drive ratio than the '04, so you can't use the same rear end. Also the '04 FXT has a limited-slip diff in the rear end, if that's what you mean by "posi."

·
Registered
2007 FXT vf37 swapped 4EAT w/ VDC
782 Posts
SO you think the diffs are interchangeable? My Sube tech says no or he may be trying to sell me a $4k rebuilt...
The center differentials should be interchangeable if you also swap the tailhousing per that thread, but I suspect that your problems are caused by the 4.11 final drive in the 06 trans conflicting with the 4.44 rear end ratio in your rear diff.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still daft re: the rear pumpkin ring/pinion ratio. Why does it matter how many revs are coming out of the driveshaft since the rear ratio is a constant at 4:11 or 4:44 and converts the driveshaft revs to it's own fixed ratio (4:11, et al)? In the old days we would stick whatever ratios we wanted into the rear diff to change the final ratio to the wheels. Thus, we wold drive around in my pal's 65 stang with 5:30 rear at 50 mph and 3200 rpm-luckily it revved to 6000 and only had one contender on Long Island, a GTO, but I digress 8 ')

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Although effectively the same system with clutches and sprags to the 'wheels that grip' albeit more sophisticated.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport 4EAT
1,663 Posts
Am I the only one that is a little lost here?

You just keep saying diff/differential. Are you talking front, center or rear? There are 3 differentials in your car.

The 04 XT 4EAT was a 4.44 front differential, 4.44 rear differential and of course a 1:1 center diff.

The 06 XT 4EAT was a 4.11 front differential, 4.11 rear differential and of course a 1:1 center diff

You have to match your front and rear ratios if you have a 1:1 center diff, they can be different if you have a different center diff (like out of a WRX).

Now, what diff is supposedly "posi"?

Is the 06 donor from an XT, or a 2.5X/2.5XS?

If you've been driving a 4.11 transmission with a 4.44 rear diff, you've likely smoked your center differential. You'll need a new center diff and a rear diff to match the new transmission.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ignoring positraction for now, thanks for the simple explanation.
The center diff is inside the trans, not in the transfer box thing that's pn the tailpiece(from a quick glance in the shop), correct? And if the 04 & 06 are both 1:1 direct drive, why wold they not work with either 411/444 ratios?

I have about 30 miles on the mismatched 06/04 combo.

RE the antiquated term 'positraction,' is not a Sube awd system a sophisticated positraction; power to the wheel that's not slipping with a clutch system?

Close, I just discovered: The Differences Between Positraction & Limited Slip | eHow

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In the article I posted, it would seem the LSD would be a better system in that it keeps some power on both/all wheels, even the slipping one. BUT, why do 'posi' cars do equal burnouts on both wheels and not just one like a non-posi car(legal evidence in 'My Cousin Vinny')? More early morning auto-theory...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts