Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Forester EJ253AVAFB with a P0442code. Looking for some troubleshooting info to prove the fault. So far I have only verified the Purge Control Solenoid valve is good by removing the vacuum line from the manifold and applying vacuum, watching for 20 minutes and saw that there was no loss of vacuum. I think this proves that there is no leak at the valve. Would like to prove the Drain Valve, which on this year is built into the Vapor Canister, is sealing when power is applied but I can only find guides on the separately mounted valve. The canister is a bit costly to replace on a hunch. Also any other tips on checking the pressure control solenoid valve, fuel tank roll over valves or any other possibilities would be welcome.

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
981 Posts
The first test performed during the evap monitor is the weak vacuum test (gross leak) when the purge is open and the vent closed. If both solenoids are working then the small leak test is performed. During the small leak test a code is set when the pressure in the system rises to normal faster than it would decay. This doesn't mean that there isn't a hole in the vent or purge solenoid. There still could be a very small one. It does tell you where is the best place to start.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts