Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 XT - Trying to figure out the cause of this. Recently had my timing belt changed and the light has come back on (was on before the Timing Belt, stayed on after the service). What would be a way to fix this? No cruise control is a bummer!

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
669 Posts
P0021 is a code related to the timing. There are valves that advance the timing when necessary. It is Subaru's way of doing Honda/Acura's VTEC. If may be that one of your camshaft position position valves has gone bad. It isn't an expensive part to replace. If I remember correctly, there are two. They go bad over time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P0021 is a code related to the timing. There are valves that advance the timing when necessary. It is Subaru's way of doing Honda/Acura's VTEC. If may be that one of your camshaft position position valves has gone bad. It isn't an expensive part to replace. If I remember correctly, there are two. They go bad over time.
Thanks! I’ll take a look into those options for getting it fixed. Wanting to do some other work on the car but I want to fix any engine light errors before it’s a bigger problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! I’ll take a look into those options for getting it fixed. Wanting to do some other work on the car but I want to fix any engine light errors before it’s a bigger problem
Look into the banjo bolt filters. Are they still in the car. Is the engine an EJ255

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll take a look - is it difficult to check them out?
Yes Adam they are a bear to pull the screens out of, the P0011 and the P0021 error codes are associated with lubrication on those cam position valves. When you had the timing belt cover off the Banjo bolt was right there. That bolt has a screen in it that can cause the cams to starve for oil. Read up on P0021 error codes associated with lubrication.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts