Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have an 06' Forester with 228,000 miles and it's beginning to go through oil a little quicker. I just recently switched to Mobil1 High Mileage Full Synthetic and it seems to have gotten worse. Does anyone have a suggestion on using either a different oil or an additive to help seal around the rings? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
at that mileage i would go with thicker basic oil before messing with additives. if you've been running 5w30 try something thicker. 5w40 next, maybe?

·
Registered
09 FXT Stage 2 4EAT
431 Posts
This is just my observation but Mobile 1 5w-30 is too thin compared to other 5w-30s. If you like Mobile 1 I would go with 10w-30. Also to note all the vehicles I've worked on with the 5w-30 Mobile 1 have an excess of blow-by. I've even pulled intercoolers that are drowning in oil from Mobile 1 5w-30. Now, this is just my observation and I'm sure there are lots of people using it still but to me it's clear as day. Try a thicker viscosity and it might help.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
This is just my observation but Mobile 1 5w-30 is too thin compared to other 5w-30s. If you like Mobile 1 I would go with 10w-30. Also to note all the vehicles I've worked on with the 5w-30 Mobile 1 have an excess of blow-by. I've even pulled intercoolers that are drowning in oil from Mobile 1 5w-30. Now, this is just my observation and I'm sure there are lots of people using it still but to me it's clear as day. Try a thicker viscosity and it might help.
This is interesting to hear since I am following the service advisor's recommendation and running a conventional oil right now in the FXT based upon supposedly less oil consumption, however I only have 5000 miles on the vehicle and haven't determined my long term strategy yet.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great input! I think I will switch to a conventional oil and a thicker viscosity. I appreciate all the feedback.

·
Registered
2004 Forester
46 Posts
How much oil are you using? My 04 FXT 5spd usually uses 1 litre per 4000km. It has 215,000km and I have used various grades of synthetic at 8000km oil change intervals.

I was under the impression that Subaru recommended synthetic oil for their turbos, because of the increased ability to take heat.

I have used Mobil 5W30 occasionally in the coldest months of the winter (in Toronto). I have used Amsoil European formula 5W40. I generally use Mobil 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil. Hottest summer months get a couple of litres of Mobil 15W50 in the mix. I use an oil additive called Pathfinder, in various ratios, to add detergent and load/wear components.

The main selling point for high mileage oils is the increased detergent additive pack to help keep a high mileage carboned motor cleaner. (Nowhere near as powerful as an engine flush). Because these oils are usually more expensive, they sometimes include a little more antiwear or other components.

The diesel oils have more antiwear, detergent and antioxidants components to help with higher loads, fuel soot dispersion and extended oil change intervals, respectively. You might consider some of these oils for your high mileage car. They tend to thin out less and could be better for oil consumption.

Revout

·
Registered
310 Posts
I recently switched my '09 Forester to M1 and it started consuming oil, but I'm sticking with it (just checking the oil level when I fill up gas), to see if the consumption goes down. If after a few oil changes it continues to consume M1, I'll switch to something else.

Have you previously been using synthetic oil? B/c synthetics tend to clean better, changing at high mileage can sometimes result in the oil cleaning deposits that were previously preventing leaks/consumption.

M1 HM is a thick 30wt though, it's not thick-thick, but it's thicker than the norm (most HM oils are thicker than the norm for that weight).

If you're thinking of going to conventional, I'd suggest first trying Valvoline MaxLife for 2-3 oil changes to see if it reduces consumption. MaxLife is a semi-synthetic, it's a HM oil so it's thicker than normal 30wts, it's got seal conditioners to help restore seals that might be causing leaks/consumption, and oil analysis done on it show it's a very solid oil that protects engines well.

If after 2-3 oil changes the consumption is still high, than you can either try to fix the problem, or see about moving up to a thicker oil (Rotella T6 5w-40 is a pretty sweet 40w, though that's going back to synthetics).

Also, do you know if the PCV valve has been changed, might want to check it to make sure it's clean and working. If it's busted this could cause some oil consumption issues.

Lastly, check out BobIsTheOilGuy.com it's a great oil website, and you can find a bunch of info on MaxLife and other HM oils there.

(and just to make sure it's stated, I'm not affiliated wit Valvoline, Mobil, or any oil company, and my only relationship to BITOG is I read and post on their forum)

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Wagon
67 Posts
Couple of weeks ago the MaxLife was on sale for $14 per 5 qt. jug. Picked up 6 jugs in 5W30 and 10W30 for my three vehicles.

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,678 Posts
M1 5W-30 High Mileage is one of their thickest 30 grade oils. M1 10W-30 HM is a bit thicker than the 5W-30 HM and is ACEA A3 rated for shear stability.

Keep in mind that the number on the bottle is a grade representing a viscosity range and not the actual viscosity. Regular M1 10W-30 is actually thinner than M1 5W-30 at 100C.

M1 10W-30 /10W-40 High Mileage are both robust oils. Regardless if using conventional, blend, or full synthetic, I would stick with a High Mileage oil. They have more seal swelling agents, usually have a thicker viscosity within the same grade as regular oils, and have more anti-wear additives. +3 for MaxLife.

Also keep in mind that sometimes switching oils will also increase consumption (especially if synthetic wasn't used in the past) and it may take 2-3 changes for consumption to return to normal.

-Dennis

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
MaxLife also comes in full synthetic 5w30 in silver bottle, that is what I run. I will be swithlching to Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic with next oil change.

I will not touch Mobile 1 or Pennzoil.

Stan

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
MaxLife also comes in full synthetic 5w30 in silver bottle, that is what I run. I will be swithlching to Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic with next oil change.

I will not touch Mobile 1 or Pennzoil.

Stan
ML Full Synthetic is hard to find, depending where you live. I've actually never seen it.

M1 makes great oils and all of them are not created equal. Although I would never use any of their Energy Conserving oils (I don't use EC oils in any of my 3 subes). Pennzoil is also a great oil and Shell makes Pennzoil and Rotella.

I'll be doing an analysis on my current fill of M1 0W-40 and then Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 after that. Currently running M1 10W-30 High Mileage in a '99 Outback and Pennzoil High Mileage 10W-30 in a '00 RS.

-Dennis

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
ML Full Synthetic is hard to find, depending where you live. I've actually never seen it.

M1 makes great oils and all of them are not created equal. Although I would never use any of their Energy Conserving oils (I don't use EC oils in any of my 3 subes). Pennzoil is also a great oil and Shell makes Pennzoil and Rotella.

I'll be doing an analysis on my current fill of M1 0W-40 and then Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 after that. Currently running M1 10W-30 High Mileage in a '99 Outback and Pennzoil High Mileage 10W-30 in a '00 RS.

-Dennis
How are you liking the 0w40? I was thinking of trying that out next (usually use EP 5w30 in mine and HM 10w30 in the jeep), however all the stores only have the single quart bottles and not the 5 quart jugs of it which makes it quite a bit more expensive (the HM 10w30 and the 0w40 are acea a3)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
How are you liking the 0w40? I was thinking of trying that out next (usually use EP 5w30 in mine and HM 10w30 in the jeep), however all the stores only have the single quart bottles and not the 5 quart jugs of it which makes it quite a bit more expensive (the HM 10w30 and the 0w40 are acea a3)
It's not bad. I've consumed 1 qt in 4k miles. I used to be afraid to run it since it's shears to a 30 grade easily, but it has more zinc and phos. than GC and, even with shearing, I expect it to be slightly thicker than GC at the end of the interval.

I didn't notice any difference in engine/turbo response switching to a 40 either. Trying PU 5W-40 since I got it for free from Pennzoil. :biggrin:

-Dennis

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
37 Posts

-Dennis
Dennis,

When did you switch over to M1 10W30 HM? My '05 FXT now has 93K on the clock; I need to start thinking about things to do to keep it healthy for the long term and switching to M1 5W30 HM may be part of that. August 1 marked 6 years with the beast and my goal is to keep it for at least 10.

Thanks,
Ed

PS: Long time no see!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Dennis,

When did you switch over to M1 10W30 HM? My '05 FXT now has 93K on the clock; I need to start thinking about things to do to keep it healthy for the long term and switching to M1 5W30 HM may be part of that. August 1 marked 6 years with the beast and my goal is to keep it for at least 10.

Thanks,
Ed

PS: Long time no see!
Hey Ed!

I ran M1 10W30 HM in the Outback and M1 0W-40 in my car. Haven't actually run an HM oil in my car yet.

-Dennis

·
Registered
2001 Forester
132 Posts
Canadian Tire F1 5w-30 synthetic (made by Esso). I buy a couple of jugs when they go on sale, no issue with oil loss (226K km) in the Forester. 0w-30 Castrol in the Impreza with no oil loss. OCI is 10K km.

If they did start leaking, I would try non-syn hi-mileage oil for a while before attempting to put any "stop leak" type of oil additive. I've used "marvel mystery oil" in the 90's for my Fords that always seemed to cure oil burning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys,

I have an 06' Forester with 228,000 miles and it's beginning to go through oil a little quicker. I just recently switched to Mobil1 High Mileage Full Synthetic and it seems to have gotten worse. Does anyone have a suggestion on using either a different oil or an additive to help seal around the rings? Thanks for any input!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts