Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
MY04 FSti MT6
551 Posts
That's the one bud.. Good job.
Using that as the basis I took it a stage further and made a vented cabinet out of the nearside rear quarter cavity and stuck a little 60W amp module behind the dash, connected to the HU with a short phono lead and used the existing sub wiring to the driver. Making the enclosure airtight and damping out all the resonances in the body panels was quite a task (you HAVE to get it airtight!) - lots of expanding foam and self adhesive damping mat stuff, but it was worth the effort, response flat to 30Hz. Sounds awesome with EDM 🙌. The original sub driver is frankly a joke, probably the worst bit of design in the car!

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,862 Posts
Using that as the basis I took it a stage further and made a vented cabinet out of the nearside rear quarter cavity and stuck a little 60W amp module behind the dash, connected to the HU with a short phono lead and used the existing sub wiring to the driver. Making the enclosure airtight and damping out all the resonances in the body panels was quite a task (you HAVE to get it airtight!) - lots of expanding foam and self adhesive damping mat stuff, but it was worth the effort, response flat to 30Hz. Sounds awesome with EDM 🙌. The original sub driver is frankly a joke, probably the worst bit of design in the car!
I too used fatmat/audio dampening flashing/foil backed bitumen but left a small air hole over the wheel well as a bass port as my sub requires this or it would probably blow the 3/4 panel off the car 🤣

Good choice on electronic dance music bud. I'm a hard trance/dubstep man myself but do like a bit of EDM amongst other genres.

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #145

I made a start on my tablet install today. managed to get it all put together more or less and I'm happy with how it fits.

I've bought all of the wiring bits I need and I'll hopefully get on to that at some point next week.

I'm toying with the idea of making the top cowl removable by getting rid of the tabs so I can access everything easily without needing trim tools. this way the tablet will also be removable so I can do any software updates or if I need to hard reset the tablet etc.

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I've not had chance to do anything further on my tablet install yet, but unfortunately I do have another thing to add to my list - the dreaded water in the headlights issue.
I contacted a breakers on fleabay about a set of lights so I'd have a spare set in case anything goes wrong when I take mine off the car. they asked for £500 for the pair plus £50 delivery! if that's the going rate i'd be better off buying a complete second car then stripping and scrapping it myself! 🤕

·
Registered
'08 Forester 2.5X Sports 5MT
136 Posts
the side brackets are factory items, i made the two horizontal rails
Cool man, I'm going to take this idea because I was still working on a way to get mine flush. I'm thinking I'll chop a line into the horizontal rails so they slide forward/back and tighten into place with the screws for perfect fitment :alien:

I had made a double DIN plexiglass mount but it is just a little too forward and pushes the tablet against the pod surround.. measure twice cut once they say. Oh well!

For those headlights check out RetroRubber OEM Grade Butyl Headlight Sealant from Morimoto. It's $20 USD in the states and the right stuff - I have it in my project bin for when I'm ready to do that project as well.

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Cool man, I'm going to take this idea because I was still working on a way to get mine flush. I'm thinking I'll chop a line into the horizontal rails so they slide forward/back and tighten into place with the screws for perfect fitment :alien:

I had made a double DIN plexiglass mount but it is just a little too forward and pushes the tablet against the pod surround.. measure twice cut once they say. Oh well!

For those headlights check out RetroRubber OEM Grade Butyl Headlight Sealant from Morimoto. It's $20 USD in the states and the right stuff - I have it in my project bin for when I'm ready to do that project as well.
cutting slots in the sides was what i had planned to do, but due to some careful measuring and a bit of luck the fit was pretty much bang on.

i'm making a plastic mount for a usb socket that will fit behind the tablet between the rails but haven't quite finished it yet.

cheers for the tip on the headlight sealant, i'll see if there's something similar in the uk

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,862 Posts
I've not had chance to do anything further on my tablet install yet, but unfortunately I do have another thing to add to my list - the dreaded water in the headlights issue.
I contacted a breakers on fleabay about a set of lights so I'd have a spare set in case anything goes wrong when I take mine off the car. they asked for £500 for the pair plus £50 delivery! if that's the going rate i'd be better off buying a complete second car then stripping and scrapping it myself! 🤕
Pmsl £500 for second hand lights!! ... Rip off merchants there bud.
You can buy new for less than that for fronts or rears.
Have a look for the thread on lense replacement that @Lockheed and myself participated in Here
We both got ours from the Arab Emirates delivered for under £200 afair. They were the reflector type and no ballasts as those have shocking light pattern so changed for the black background stock XT clusters.

Headlight butyl is a tenner on Amazon btw.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,261 Posts
Pmsl £500 for second hand lights!! ... Rip off merchants there bud.
You can buy new for less than that for fronts or rears.
Have a look for the thread on lense replacement that @Lockheed and myself participated in Here
We both got ours from the Arab Emirates delivered for under £200 afair. They were the reflector type and no ballasts as those have shocking light pattern so changed for the black background stock XT clusters.

Headlight butyl is a tenner on Amazon btw.
Might have to check on availability for the face lift, don would be my go to guy for that .
By the way what have they done to your flag?

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,862 Posts
Might have to check on availability for the face lift, don would be my go to guy for that .
By the way what have they done to your flag?
Yup @don1952 will point you to the correct parts.. Good lad. Although shapey may not need the lenses and just a reseal. 🤞

My flag changes nationality when I'm at work to the Belgian flag as my phone detects I'm not at home and uses a vpn so I believe.

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Yup @don1952 will point you to the correct parts.. Good lad. Although shapey may not need the lenses and just a reseal. 🤞

My flag changes nationality when I'm at work to the Belgian flag as my phone detects I'm not at home and uses a vpn so I believe.
yes, i was hoping to just clean out the condensation and reseal the lights.
the partsouq lenses you linked in the other thread are different to the ones on my forester - i think these are the correct part for my lights - Subaru 84910AC/ 84910AD LENS AND EXTENSION COMPLETE | JDM Japanparts.com | SG9/ D-F

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
i finished the mount for the usb charge port. just need to wire it all up at the weekend.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,870 Posts
84990SA481 and 84990SA491 as per HID Headlights link

Reactions: shapey

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
quick update as i've been a bit quiet on here lately.
the android tablet install is finished and is behaving itself most of the time. i ended up re-writing the macrodroid macros a few times to get it to do what i wanted. it could maybe still do with a couple of minor software tweaks.
i have an MOT booked on weds at the dealer in leicester (unity) - i mentioned when i made the appointment about the intermittent power loss and mentioned an ecu update that i'd read about, but the guy on the phone didn't sound like it was anything he'd heard of... they're going to run a diagnostic so i'll see if that throws up anything.
i'm hoping the condensation in the headlight isn't bad enough that it'll fail an MOT as i've not had chance to sort it yet.

·
Registered
MY04 FSti MT6
551 Posts
Just a thought: if you have a source of DRY compressed air available, would removing the headlamp bulb and sticking a tube from which said air is issuing into the hole dry the inside of the lamp assembly out I wonder??

141 - 160 of 165 Posts