Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
after a bit more research it sounds like a 'y' cable won't do the trick for the factory sub and is a bad idea as it might short the outputs on the head unit...
i think i need to run a stereo rca to mono converter to get the factory sub to work, but i'll likely just forget about it and get a powered slimline sub instead.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,862 Posts
If you really want to use the stock sub then there's a thread somewhere showing what to do. I can't seem to find it though.

You could also buy a crossover that receives its signal from the front two speakers that gives the sub just the mono LF signals. Maybe an easier way?

Where is your sub? In the boot on passanger side behind the wheel well or under the drivers seat? If it's an under seat one then I'm sure it needs power so there's another job.

Personally I went for this...

Mono block alpine amp mounted on the rear seat and a decent sub built into the existing hole with a bit of modding.

It would also be so much easier to use the patch lead @don1952 linked for the wheel controls though bud.

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
If you really want to use the stock sub then there's a thread somewhere showing what to do. I can't seem to find it though.

You could also buy a crossover that receives its signal from the front two speakers that gives the sub just the mono LF signals. Maybe an easier way?

Where is your sub? In the boot on passanger side behind the wheel well or under the drivers seat? If it's an under seat one then I'm sure it needs power so there's another job.

Personally I went for this...
View attachment 544042
Mono block alpine amp mounted on the rear seat and a decent sub built into the existing hole with a bit of modding.

It would also be so much easier to use the patch lead @don1952 linked for the wheel controls though bud.
hi. that looks like a decent setup!
i've got the stock sub in the boot.
my head unit has pre-amped sub outs (stereo rca)
the upgraded head unit gives a massive improvement to the audio already so i'll run it as it is for a while - if i feel like the bass is lacking i'll get a 'proper' sub

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,862 Posts
Yes my HU has RCA's too and a nice bit of kit.

I too felt your pain with alignment of the side metal fittings as it was a pita to get it so the front opened and didn't clip the console surround.
And yes I know it could do with a dust :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
cool. I was toying with the idea of a touchscreen but I decided on one with buttons etc. in the end.
the pioneer has pretty much all bases covered though (bluetooth, dab radio, phone connect, aux in, usb, Spotify, cd)

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #126

thought i'd share a pic of the new head unit. there's a companion app that allows you to set custom colours for the lighting! fancy! 😂

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,862 Posts
Looks nice and flush.... Pink! Suit you sir! :love:

Did you swap out your stock speakers btw?

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,807 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,862 Posts
@highland forry Do you mean this thread by @sea-scooby ?

Or this one? (Scroll to #10 for pics) ('03-'05) - Installed: 8" sub on BOTH...
That's the one bud.. Good job.

Reactions: TMX

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Looks nice and flush.... Pink! Suit you sir! :love:

Did you swap out your stock speakers btw?
I've not swapped out the speakers. I'll see how it goes with the stock stuff for now. I've not driven anywhere since the install so haven't properly tested it out yet.

I have however just got my hands on a 2din satnav dash housing so currently reading up on android tablet installs 😁

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,862 Posts
I've not swapped out the speakers. I'll see how it goes with the stock stuff for now. I've not driven anywhere since the install so haven't properly tested it out yet.

I have however just got my hands on a 2din satnav dash housing so currently reading up on android tablet installs 😁
Typical.... Its always the case when you buy something then you could have done something different?
How about a dial pack? Or even just an inexpensive sat nav or even an android HU? As they're really cheap now.

I've always toyed with the idea that my HU would be better up top but I have a nice Genome dial setup there and don't think they'd look good in the original HU install position, plus I like the cubby pocket triple dial pod I have housing the dials.

I'm just never happy or is it I just like a mod every so often.

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
no, I'm completely happy with the stereo choice! part of the reason for not going with an Android head unit was that I think the stock stereo location is too low down for a satnav.
this way I can also still control the music without having to switch the screen away from nav.
my plan is to add an Android tablet mainly for nav with Google maps, running it off my phone's WiFi hotspot, and connecting the tablet via Bluetooth to the head unit. with that in mind I only need to run a power cable to the tablet so it should be a fairly uncomplicated install.

I can also load up the tablet with music and diagnostic / gauges apps via a Bluetooth obd dongle if I want to.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,862 Posts
I meant a double install with an android HU up top or even a raspberry pi or odroid build with a touch screen. These are becoming so inexpensive and easy to use. It'll also run a obd app just like a tablet install.
I only say this as installing a tablet can be a pita with having to switch it off and on as it has its own battery.

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I meant a double install with an android HU up top or even a raspberry pi or odroid build with a touch screen. These are becoming so inexpensive and easy to use. It'll also run a obd app just like a tablet install.
I only say this as installing a tablet can be a pita with having to switch it off and on as it has its own battery.
ah ok! I'll have a look into those.
just seemed like an Android tablet was the easiest option, but I'm always interested to investigate others! thanks!

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
look what arrived in the post this morning...

i decided to go down the android tablet route as it looked like the simplest option, and if it doesn't work out for any reason i can give the tablet to one of the kids for christmas! 😂

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,862 Posts
Looks pretty darn good bud. How you going to get round the on off procedure though?
A small hole adjacent to the power button on the tablet with a momentary switch install?

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Looks pretty darn good bud. How you going to get round the on off procedure though?
A small hole adjacent to the power button on the tablet with a momentary switch install?
there are custom ROMs available for the nexus and simple hacks that allow it to power on when it receives power through the usb, no need for holes hopefully!

my plan is to get it up and running with the software mods and run it off a cable to the cigarette lighter to make sure it works properly before i do a more permanent install

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
had a bit of time today so I did the software mods to the tablet. (unlocked bootloader, twrp recovery installed, off mode charging disabled, rooted to allow macros to run)
it now powers on automatically when plugged in via usb, and shuts down one minute after power is disconnected using a macro set up in the macrodroid app.
i'm going to try out a few car launchers and once i've decided on one i'll set it up to autorun when the tablet is powered on.
i'm itching to get it all set up and installed in the car, but i need to be patient and make sure it's all running properly first...

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,862 Posts
Back in the day when I done an Odroid install I used carwebguru launcher which had the choice of a subaru logo on startup. It also had so many great options on colour etc.
Good job btw.

Reactions: shapey

·
Registered
'06 2.0n/a XE silver
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I think I'm going to use automate for now. nice uncluttered interface and seems to do most of the things I want it to without loads of stuff I don't need.
had a quick try in the car earlier and the switching seems to be working well.
might have to tweak a couple of the macros here and there...
I also had some ideas and started fabricating a mount. going to be super simple and have some adjustability when it comes to fitting hopefully.
nothing photo-worthy yet but maybe over the weekend...

121 - 140 of 165 Posts