Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Forester XT Limited
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I just purchased this 2006 Subaru Forester 2.5XT Limited from an elderly man who owned it since new. It appears really clean and has 90k miles on it. Its a 5 speed manual. Can anyone tell me if this 5 Speed transmission has any issues with it that I should be concerned with? I've done some research, and I cant seem to find ones that have the 5 speed, only the automatic. I figured that the manual transmission would be more common, however, i'm finding quite the contrary. I want to service it, including changing the transmission fluid, however, i'm not sure what the best kind to run is. Is there any recommendations? It also has the "check engine" light due to a secondary air pump failure... Thank you for any help
2006 Subaru 2.5XT.jpg 2006 Subaru 2.5XT interior.jpg

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,183 Posts
The 5 speed manual is much more desirable. Congrats on snagging one. That gear box is very dependable, no need to worry about it. I can't help with the secondary air pump failure. It is common with that gen. Maybe someone else can help out with that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh I see...Its very fun to drive, and there is no weird noises or anything like that. The shifter feels nice and tight but Since its just at 90k miles, I want to completely service it. Do you have a recommendation on transmission oil and diff fluid? Thanks

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,605 Posts
@jetskiwarrior we're running Red Line synthetic gear oil in both our Foresters.

Lots of threads on secondary air pump failures! Here's a thread to peruse.
Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,183 Posts
I'd suggest finding a respected local Subaru repair shop. I have one here and trust them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Bobby for the suggestion and the link to the secondary air pump issue. Ill be working on her this weekend, so wish me luck!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,605 Posts
@jetskiwarrior keep in mind if you decide to do the "delete", you will have to have the associated CEL coded removed. A tuner can do this for you or you can look in "open source" tuning software. No experience on this, as no failures yet.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
609 Posts
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the timing belt yet...
They should be replaced every 100K miles. But considering the age of the vehicle, you're likely overdue.

Congrats on the awesome score!

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
311 Posts
Not sure if Subaru sorted out the 1-2 synchro issue that the 02-05 Imprezas had. Wherein you could not downshift from 2-1 unless you were almost completely stopped. This was the only issue I ever had with my 5 speed...and also some slight clutch judder if the car was really cold. I always considered it character.

The secondary air pump does seem to be a problem with these model years. The unit on my 07 crapped out recently. However, I don't have to get my car smogged here in Michigan, so I had my tuner delete all associated codes and unplugged it. No more problem! The pump is only for emissions blah blah on cold starts.

The timing belt is a small concern, but you are probably safe to ride it out for another 15K. I bought my 07 with 88K on the clock in 2017. I waited until the scheduled interval at 105K to do the timing belt. If you don't have any squeaky bearings down there, you are probably safe.

The one thing that you DO need to make sure of, is that the banjo filters have been removed from the oil supply lines feeding the AVCS (variable valve timing solenoids) and the turbo. Some folks claim that Subaru stopped putting these in after 05, but my 07 had them. If you start seeing a P0011 or P0021 code pop up, this is the culprit. Check out this link.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,333 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice Fozzy.

I run Redline Lightweight Shockproof in my 5 speed manual but if yours is still silky smooth, there is no need to. I've run Millers CRX Nanotech in a 2006 5 speed manual and that fluid worked great too.
You want to avoid Limited Slip Differential type fluids for the gearbox or differentials, as those fluids are meant for a different type of LSD to what we have in the rear.

This should help with the Secondary Air System Secondary air injection

Keep an eye on your plastic tanks on the radiator as those can leak very slightly with hairline cracks and introduce air into the system, which you really don't want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts