Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 2.0 AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyboy.

I'm new to forester thing as i always had VW cars and recently i bought a 2006 Forester 2.0 AWD with 180K kmh on it and i love it!
i have some questions about this car and i realised its the only place i can found my answers.
i live in greece and the degree is an average of 30c at the summer and 15c

So far i replaced the following .

1. Rear Suspensions with the stock one because they were damaged and the car was lower about 8cm so my car lifted and its back to the proper .Front suspension were great as the mechanical told me and i dint have to replace it.
2. Cooler and fan because of a leak etc.
3. Maintenance things (oils, spark plugs , cooling liquid with the one that subaru suggests.
4. previous owner have changed oil pump water pump clutch system and many other (when i have the service book on my hands i will update)

So i have questions about the following:

1. What should i check on the engine because of too many kmh and what should be aware in the near future.
2.Tires: i want to get the Bfgoodrich all terrain 215/70/16 or 225/70/16 . Do they fit or should i lift it ? i have 16 subaru rims alloy . will i need a spacer ?

3.Lift kit: i'm planing to lift it so it will fit my standards where i'm going . how much should i lift without loose the driving comfort already has and not change arm spacers etc ?
i'm thinking about 30mm will i need arm spacers etc? i was looking for an anwer at the forum but i got confused .
4.LPG : since the petrol in greece is more expensive than a liver i was planing to convert it with lpg of BRC or vialle. Any suggestions ? any known issues or any mods should i consider along the lpg?
5. Tuning: i'm thinking to tune it a little bit with a program etc ? do you recomened? any experience ? along with lpg do you think i might kill the engine ? I'm thinking of this because of the 225 tires which i think will make it a bit slower.

Thanks in advance guys .
My appreciation on full !!

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
@Fullcharm Not quite the same car, but I recently lifted a legacy by 1" (so 25.4 mm) in the front and 1 3/8" (so 34.9 mm) in the rear using strut spacers by Anderson.
It didn't require any other changes but it was a challenge getting the struts back in place.
With normal struts, you can just ask someone to stand on the hub to lower the the control arm so you can bolt the bottom in.
Besides the fact that fiddling with struts always kinda scare me, that didn't work for me so got this tool. A bit spendy but it will see a fair bit of use.
Most FLAPS also sell these heavy duty S hooks you can then hook into the LCA and use a piece of blackpipe to pry the thing down.

·
Registered
2006 2.0 AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Fullcharm Not quite the same car, but I recently lifted a legacy by 1" (so 25.4 mm) in the front and 1 3/8" (so 34.9 mm) in the rear using strut spacers by Anderson.
It didn't require any other changes but it was a challenge getting the struts back in place.
With normal struts, you can just ask someone to stand on the hub to lower the the control arm so you can bolt the bottom in.
Besides the fact that fiddling with struts always kinda scare me, that didn't work for me so got this tool. A bit spendy but it will see a fair bit of use.
Most FLAPS also sell these heavy duty S hooks you can then hook into the LCA and use a piece of blackpipe to pry the thing down.
Thanks for the info mate . why did you use different size ? why lower front lift?

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Thanks for the info mate . why did you use different size ? why lower front lift?
Legacies have this tendency to sag their butt so it looked weird.
I replaced the struts and springs with Bilstein. It looks and drives so much better now.

·
Registered
2003 Forester AW Manual with low ratio
276 Posts
Hello to everyboy.

I'm new to forester thing as i always had VW cars and recently i bought a 2006 Forester 2.0 AWD with 180K kmh on it and i love it!
i have some questions about this car and i realised its the only place i can found my answers.
i live in greece and the degree is an average of 30c at the summer and 15c

So far i replaced the following .

1. Rear Suspensions with the stock one because they were damaged and the car was lower about 8cm so my car lifted and its back to the proper .Front suspension were great as the mechanical told me and i dint have to replace it.
2. Cooler and fan because of a leak etc.
3. Maintenance things (oils, spark plugs , cooling liquid with the one that subaru suggests.
4. previous owner have changed oil pump water pump clutch system and many other (when i have the service book on my hands i will update)

So i have questions about the following:

1. What should i check on the engine because of too many kmh and what should be aware in the near future.
2.Tires: i want to get the Bfgoodrich all terrain 215/70/16 or 225/70/16 . Do they fit or should i lift it ? i have 16 subaru rims alloy . will i need a spacer ?

3.Lift kit: i'm planing to lift it so it will fit my standards where i'm going . how much should i lift without loose the driving comfort already has and not change arm spacers etc ?
i'm thinking about 30mm will i need arm spacers etc? i was looking for an anwer at the forum but i got confused .
4.LPG : since the petrol in greece is more expensive than a liver i was planing to convert it with lpg of BRC or vialle. Any suggestions ? any known issues or any mods should i consider along the lpg?
5. Tuning: i'm thinking to tune it a little bit with a program etc ? do you recomened? any experience ? along with lpg do you think i might kill the engine ? I'm thinking of this because of the 225 tires which i think will make it a bit slower.

Thanks in advance guys .
My appreciation on full !!
When my old forester was nearly new, i asked the old ( experienced) Subaru service desk guy about whether to check the valve clearance / tappets at 60 k miles as per service book. His reply was classic: if youre not using LPG you wont need to, they dont go out of adjustment and the dealership rarely checks them. After 180 k miles I did it myself and only one needed slight adjustment! His message was, if you use LPG, the valve seats will burn out much sooner due to the higher temperatures. Not first hand experience from me, but I trusted the experience of that workshop manager.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts