Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed this yesterday, is there any salvaging it? I hate to just buy new if there's any chance of repairing. I'm not talking about making it look new again, just functional, the light still works right now but rarely get used.
Eye Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Grey

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
5,594 Posts
Since it's a 2006, I would have to ask the question how often do you even use "fog" lights? I have a 2001 with fog lights and can't remember the last time I even used them. And they don't make any difference at all where I live if I turned on them......IMHO, I would do nothing.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@bman400 I never use them because they suck lol, would be nice to have some decent ones when I did want them though, so I was going to swap the old stock halogens for some 3000K LEDs since I am already switching the headlights to LED.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
5,594 Posts
Well if I was in your position, I would get new housing that works with the LED bulbs. The existing halogen housing will not work/work well with the LED bulbs.....But then getting good housings for 2006 is iffy at best. The other choice would be go to the wreckers or ebay to see if you can get decent housing without the corrosion etc...I get all most of the parts for my 2001 from ebay if I can't get them new from Subaru or rockauto.com

·
Registered
2017 XT Limited + Tech
649 Posts
I am surprised you have rust with most components made of plastic including the reflectors. You are more likely to have molds growing inside.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@eelnod,
I assume it's the chrome coating corroding, but if it was mold that would be the best case scenario. I intend to pull the housing one of these days and will comment more on it then, just figured I'd see what the general consensus was on here in the meantime before I just jump in.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
5,594 Posts
It's the old halogen style where the front reflector covers a portion of the bulb to direct the light path to the rear of the housing for the larger reflector to redirect the light out the front. No different than the H4 Headlight housing of the SF models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts