Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the process of putting a 2" lift on my '06. Everything else is stock. I am hoping to have an off and on road set of tires because I split my time ~60% off-road & 40% commuting (fair weather motorcyclist here..).

The newer Subaru's have larger wider tires and I am unsure if certain sets will fit! Right now I see a 225/60r18 set for sale from an '18 Outback for a smoking deal but I wanted to see if you all had tired/failed/succeeded at putting bigger tires on an older foz.

Let me know
(y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Kevin Thank you for the welcome! I'm glad I've finally jumped in and joined this forum. I've probably perused hundreds of them already but this time I needed a little more specific help.

I forgot about the perch! I'm glad you mentioned that. I am wondering, if I get wheel spacers would that help it at all?

·
Administrator
15,074 Posts
@FozzyMyre yes, spacers will certainly help (illegal over here)

Note that Outback wheels themselves will not fit as the stud pattern is different - yours is 5x100 whereas the Outback is 5x114.3

For offroad you want a taller side wall than an 18" wheel / tire has to offer so you're better off sticking with 16" or even going with 15" rally wheels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad you mentioned that. I checked the OEM specs and you are right they are 5x114.3 which will not work for the '06.

I was going to do a little cheating and use the Outback rims for road tires and my OEM rims for my off-road. Since they are already a little beat up I thought they would be perfect for low stress 4wheeling. I just wanted to make sure my cheat wasn't going to blow up in my face, which it has... I'm glad it blew up before I spent the money!!

You rock Kevin 🤘

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was hoping to piggy back off this thread, even though its a few months old now. Im pretty much in the exact same situation. Got a '06 2.5X MT with 2" strut top spacer lift. This car is my daily, so I am keeping the stock tires for city driving but want an aggressive set of mud tires for offroading. I've heard you can make 235/75/15s work without any excessive cutting. I would most likely use wheel spacers unless I could find rims that clear the breaks. Any advice on this? Will this tire fit without mutilating my car? I am fine with doing some minor frame trimming, but as I said this is still my daily so I want to keep it mostly in shape. I also am unsure of which rims to go with. Ive been looking into Bassetts Amazon.com: Bassett Wheel D-Hole DOT Black Powder Coat - 15 x 8 Inch Wheel: Automotive but I am unsure how this will fit with the tire and my car. A little out of my element here but I'm hoping to learn as much as I can before I pull the trigger on anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good thinking, I'll have to look around a bit more for rims. I checked out the spreadsheet you linked. It doesn't seem that anyone on that list is running anything near 2" lift (or maybe I'm just reading it wrong). My main concern is about the wheel well. Assuming I can clear the breaks, with or without the help of wheel spacers, what is the next limiting factor? What should the clearance be between the tire and the side of the fender? I measured it the other day and the distance from the center of the wheel to the closest portion of the fender (which is the side, top has plenty of clearance thanks to the lift kit) is just about 15 inches. If I put a 28.9 inch tire in there, will I run into any major problems? Again, sorry if these questions have been answered, I'm still pretty new to this site. Thanks for the help!

·
Administrator
15,074 Posts
what is the next limiting factor?
The main limiting factor is the distance between the center of the hub and the bottom of the spring perch.

The size you're looking at is a big ask and I would suggest will not fit without some serious mods; here's standard versus the larger combo:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I see. So in terms of off road capability, what do I really lose by going to a slightly smaller tire like a 225/70/16? More than likely going to have to get 2" wheel spacers either way to clear the strut and breaks.

·
Administrator
15,074 Posts
So in terms of off road capability, what do I really lose
Absolutely nothing ;)
I run 21575R15 and started out with 21565R16 after replacing the OEM tires. Using a much larger tire is not necessarily any better for off-roading especially if you're rock climbing. Also not good for fuel consumption and more strain on bearings and suspension.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Moozie, just wanted to let you know that I went with 225/65/16 Yokohama Geolander AT tires. They work incredibly well off pavement but as Kevin mentions my fuel economy has tanked. I also don't think it has made a huge difference in capability but I do like the look better. I mainly use my Forester for trips and off-roading so I don't mind.

Two things I encountered:
1 With the new larger tires there was rubbing when I had the wheel turned all the way to either side. I had planned on getting wheel spacers so it wasn't a big deal
2 I put on 1" spacers (Titan Wheel Accessories) and they stopped rubbing at full turn but instead there was a piece on the mud guard that I ended up having to trim back about 3/4" to fix.

I love the look with the lift, bigger tires, and spacers but you will have to modify a bit to get it exactly right.

Especially if you are going to do a bunch of city driving you'll probably want smaller tires or OEM spec at least to maintain the fuel economy.

Here is the website I referred to for max tire size Lifted Subaru Tire Charts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts