Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2006 Subaru Forester 2.5L NA 4EAT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been daily driving a 2006 Forester Non Turbo for about a year now and I noticed an interesting switch under my dash. I’ve come to realize that the previous owner wired up a switch that can make my Forester front wheel drive only, or all wheel drive. Has anyone else heard of this? Will driving my Forester with the switch on (making it front wheel drive only) hurt it? Looking for any input. Thanks, Jay

· Administrator
21,183 Posts
@ForesterJay06 Yep, not a major mod as there is a 15 amp fuse holder in the engine bay into which a fuse is inserted to make it FWD. Of more interest for you may be this: 4WD On Demand From 4EAT
No point running in FWD unless there is something wrong with the rear drive train ;-)
(I am assuming your vehicle is an auto)
PS how do you know what the switch is doing - is it labeled?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Kevin The Previous owner mentioned it when I bought the car, and I ended up forgetting about it as I didn’t know what he was talking about at the time. I was recently putting lights under my dash when I noticed the switch and remembered it was even there.

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,671 Posts

· Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,589 Posts
Will driving my Forester with the switch on (making it front wheel drive only) hurt it?
I don't think it will hurt anything, but it also won't help anything. You won't get any better gas mileage, and all the rear driveline components are still turning so you really aren't saving anything on wear.

Subaru put it there in the event something happened to the rear portion of the drivetrain, so you could still move the vehicle using the FWD parts only. It really wasn't meant to be used for daily driving. They did away with it on the next generation of cars.

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
43,671 Posts
Reactions: Kevin

· Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
5,378 Posts
... all the rear driveline components are still turning...
... being turned by the rear wheels.
People were thinking disabling power to the rear wheels would save gas, but the rear driveline drag was still there.
The purpose of de-coupling the rear drive with the fuse was not to save gas or change the handling, but only to eliminate the stress on the automatic transmission from the different rotation rate of the smaller diameter of a compact spare on one end of the car, whether front or rear.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts