Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I appreciate what you're saying. I'm just weighing up options. Obviously the butyl is quite commonly done by the looks of things, but as you said, the soudafelt is a great alternative.... as for getting rid of the old sealant, again, I can only go by what I've read which is some people having a moan about it, but perhaps they're a vocal minority.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5 STI Manual
308 Posts
New lenses are available from subaru for the sti and the xt but they come with the black surround which you don't have to use if you have the sti variant I've got a thread on here some where about it, Don helped me out with the part numbers.
Can I find it........ Nope
Note: pre face lift.
From memory, i think a new lens is around £125-150

Strangely, UKDM XT headlights are the same as JDM HID's so you can also use those (pre-fl), im not sure about FL (i just split mine apart, made a hash of sanding the inside and gave them to a trusty painter to sort out). You can or could get some from Ebay Europe for around 150 a side

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@Lockheed

sorry to be a dunce, you don't happen to have a link to the Soudafalt stuff?

All I can find is soudafalt roofing sealant, or Butyrub - sounds amusing.., or other variants... I'm not entirely sure what you recommend..

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,906 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So after about an hour or so of messing about, watching tutorials and skinning fingers/knuckles, I'm sitting at the dinner table with a headlight in front of me, and the Foz is outside looking like a ready for bed version of this:
20200121_170119.jpg

I found it easier to get at some bits by removing the grill!

I'm currently looking at a waterlogged ballast thinking "FML what have I done"...

I think I'll definitely go with @Lockheed suggestion of sealant, purely because I don't know exactly what to remove from the head light and what not to remove.. being a HID it has (I believe) the self levelling motor(?) in there etc..and I'm not sure about cooking those things...

So, ordering a new ballast shortly!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
927 Posts
Any of the butyl rubber strips rolls should work fine, I've used this stuff before for other automotive uses and it's sticky great stuff! The tube should work too, but the strips of it are much less messy and easy to use/store.

Ian, how's it coming along?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
927 Posts
WTH, double post, website came back with error stating something went wrong and try posting again later?!?!? LOL

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Limited 4EAT
12 Posts
@Ianb1234 Super glad to see others jump in to get their hands dirty and try something new. Much respect here. How is your project going? I know I'm coming in late to the party but I've done a ton of headlight restoration and retrofits. Oven method is the only way to property get the lens off. Other thing too is Butyl glue should be the only thing used to re-seal the headlights. Morimoto makes great stuff that I use all the time and is a perfect thickness for our headlights. Here in the states we were cursed to never get the JDM or HID headlights, luckily I found these for a great steal but only because they needed a full restore. The previous owner used some silicone to re-seal which didn't work as you can see in my attached pics. Butyl glue bonds to the plastics for a proper tight seal which SG9's are plagued with. My set had a ton of junk inside them. Luckily they cleaned up really well. I wouldn't be afraid of this method.

·
Registered
2006 Forester 5-speed manual
318 Posts
Yeah, right...

I did it all a different way. You will find that the lower section of the headlight assembly will hold over a litre of water, and that's before it splashes up into the works and starts destroying globes by splashing on them when they're red hot.

So I initiated a little draining for them by drilling 4mm holes up into the two slender (but hollow) plastic pieces that are each side of the round piece on the bottom of the light. You can see one of them here in this pic:

I've proved that these two holes cause you no problem but definitely keep the light assembly free of water. The second one is the other side of what looks like a solid round section to the right of the photo but is in fact just a round kind of fence. None of this stuff locates anything or does anything other than contribute to the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
To everyone...

So, as before, I decided (either rightly or wrongly depending on your view) to go with Lockheeds (and Kevins) advice of gutter sealant, (described online as a bitumen rubber sealant).

So far it seems to have survived a little dunk test.

I've managed to attach the new ballast and get that all onto the light unit.... Despite initially forgetting to fit the bulb holder in...(fml).. it all seems a bit more "back together" than before...

So plan this afternoon is to attempt to fit humpty back together again... does anyone have any spare kings horses and kingsmen?

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
🙃 woohoo.

20200123_152840.jpg

Thanks everyone for your patience and help/advice. I know this "project" is really basic for a lot of you heavy modders.. (and I recognise how relative basic it is), but for me it's been a lot more than I've ever had to do on a car before, even my Focus was just straight swapping stuff.

Obviously the test will come with whatever weather we have coming as to whether I've sealed it well enough, but so far, it seems done!

So again, thanks!

Oh, and all in, this cost me just over £70 (not including my labour charge.. I'll bill myself later)

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
@TMX ... why I oughtta!!!!

Yeh, this did go on a bit.. I think the prospect of royally cocking up and having to buy a new headlight reinforced the "ask lots of questions" aspect...

As for the brake pads etc... sheesh, one day maybe...haha

Thanks again.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,971 Posts
Makes total sense to ask lots of questions - I'm just as guilty as I ended up with like a 6 page thread when trying to resurrect a poorly Forester a few years back. (Wiring short, clogged fuel injector and a map someone had tried to map the problem out with)

Brake pads are really very easy on a Forester compared to removing the bumper and playing with ballasts. Almost as easy as an oil change really.
Minus the sparkplugs and timing belts, Forester XTs are pretty easy to service yourself with a flat parking space.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,936 Posts
Hey @Ianb1234 .
Did you end up baking your headlight units before and after? If so what oven temp did you use?

I'm itching to do my rear face-lift conversion and don't want to melt them :oops:

Cheers.
Andy.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts