Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 camry
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The FSM says to remove bumper in order to replace headlight assembly. Is that really necessary?

I just got this Forester and currently snowed in so cannot go eyeball the situation.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
291 Posts
Unfortunately, it is necessary to do the job. But, it's actually very easy. It will probably take you less than 30 minutes to remove the bumper cover, swap the assemblies, and put it back together. There are a few vids on youtube that show the way.

·
Registered
2000 camry
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, sure looks pretty easy. I took the FSM to mean the actual bumper, not the "fascia", which is what I am familiar with the cover being called.

Now all I need to do is find a reasonably priced after market or good scrap yard piece. The original is dark half way up, having been full of water at one point. They drilled a hole to drain it.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
291 Posts
No prob. You may want to check the classifieds here on the forum. There is usually someone selling a headlight or two. Ebay is a safe bet if the seller has good pics and you know what you are getting. Word on the street is that the aftermarket units for our cars are not very good. Some folks around here have tried them, and complained of water intrusion in as little as a few weeks. I'd try to find a solid used OEM unit.

·
Registered
2000 camry
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can check those sources, but there appears to be no way to search classifieds. There is a yard nearby that will sell me the HL and a tail light (cracked lens) for under $100.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts