Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The FSM says to remove bumper in order to replace headlight assembly. Is that really necessary?

I just got this Forester and currently snowed in so cannot go eyeball the situation.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
311 Posts
Unfortunately, it is necessary to do the job. But, it's actually very easy. It will probably take you less than 30 minutes to remove the bumper cover, swap the assemblies, and put it back together. There are a few vids on youtube that show the way.

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, sure looks pretty easy. I took the FSM to mean the actual bumper, not the "fascia", which is what I am familiar with the cover being called.

Now all I need to do is find a reasonably priced after market or good scrap yard piece. The original is dark half way up, having been full of water at one point. They drilled a hole to drain it.

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
311 Posts
No prob. You may want to check the classifieds here on the forum. There is usually someone selling a headlight or two. Ebay is a safe bet if the seller has good pics and you know what you are getting. Word on the street is that the aftermarket units for our cars are not very good. Some folks around here have tried them, and complained of water intrusion in as little as a few weeks. I'd try to find a solid used OEM unit.

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can check those sources, but there appears to be no way to search classifieds. There is a yard nearby that will sell me the HL and a tail light (cracked lens) for under $100.

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried, according to the FSM, to remove the front bumper cover in order to replace the discolored headlight assembly on driver side.

I took out the 6 or 7 clips along the top and a few clips underneath. It seemed free on the bottom and along the top edge, but would not move enough, seemed to be more clips or snaps, maybe along the fender well cover?

Anyway it is cold out with weather on the way, so I'd like to get it done yet save paying a shop $90 or more to install it. I picked up a pretty clear one at a local yard, but it has an aftermarket bulb and ballast wired in, so I expect I need to patch in the standard connector, which will add to the shop cost if they do it.

Any options? Someone nearby Kingston NY with a warmish garage space for a reasonable charge?

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sports
389 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ssneil So, being slow witted these days, I think this means there is one up inside the wheel well that needs to be popped out, as well as the 6 along the top and the couple at the bottom?

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sports
389 Posts
there's two, one on each side. it's the ones red in the image. you have to peel the wheel well back a little too access. didn't be too bad.

then i think 6 up top.

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
ok those are the ones I missed. Looking over the manual again, I see where I overlooked them.

So, before tackling this again, I wanted to ask about the bulb connectors on the HL assembly. The one I got from a yard, they said had an aftermarket bulb. The sealing cap does not fit with that device installed and it appears the socket may have been messed with. They assured me it was no big deal to swap out, but now I am not so sure. I guess what I am asking is what type of bulb is used there and do I need a socket to patch in, or do the terminal ends just push on the bulb (lamp) itself? I like to be prepared to just get this done as soon as it gets above freezing for a day.

20191217_150716 (Small).jpg 20191217_150751 (Small).jpg

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I determined this housing will work, being the "non-HID" housing. The proper 900x bulb fits in the smaller opening and an H1 will fit in the larger one, with the sealing cap. But, the connector fitting on the end (two pins) of the bulb seems to be missing, being only the two wires and terminals show. I've not been able to find a connector for sale.

I can probably just push the terminals on by hand, or cut one off, if it exists, on the other and splice it in. What would you do?

·
Registered
2007 2.5XT Limited 4EAT
311 Posts
The red and black wires for that light are exactly how they are supposed to be...at least as far as I can tell from the pic. The female ends of the wires simply slide onto the male terminals on the lightbulb. There is no connector (plug) on the lightbulb itself. You should be able to pop the bulb in, flip the little metal clip to lock in the bulb, attach the wires and sealing cap, and be good to go.

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, this is done also. Got some warmer weather and got it swapped out. Had to swap some interior bits as someone had broken of the "latch" in casting that holds the lamp retainer spring in place.

Those H1 lamps are pretty fragile and I broke the filament in a brand new on only a week old, swapping it to new unit.

Anyway, looks fine, works fine. Thanks for the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts