Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, my 4EAT bit the dust this past week. Basically, the transmission lost all fluid while driving at 80 MPH and died pulling into the airport parking lot as I was about to fly off for work. Transmission was whining, I noticed it was low on oil so I topped it off. Apparently, it was losing it faster than I thought and right as I slowed to 10 MPH in the parking lot, it clunked a couple times and stopped the car completely. I was able to limp into a parking spot, all the while it was clunking, grinding, and making me cry. I got it home last night and there was a massive puddle of trans fluid underneath it. There are metal chunks stuck to the dipstick so I'm assuming it is shot. For a replacement, I am looking for a WRX 4EAT, not a standard forester 4EAT, right? I looked on Ebay, and the dipsticks on the WRX 4EAT look right but I'm not 100%. Has anybody changed a 4EAT in a driveway before? I did on my old Jeep, but that was easy (and lifted). Am I getting in over my head assuming I can do this alone? I want my FXT back!

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So through what research I've been able to do, it looks like the 4EAT out of the 02-05 WRX has the same final drive (4.111) as my 06 FXT 4EAT. They LOOK the same, but the only reference I can find is this: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618667. This poster is asking about swapping a FXT transmission into a WRX, and the last post is someone verifying that it worked. Has anybody got any experience with this? I cannot find a 2006 FXT 4EAT anywhere near me, and rebuilding is gonna be $$$$$$$.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alternatively, would the transmission out of a 2006 outback xt be a direct fit as well?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Outback XT has different final drive, ignore previous post. If I can ensure fitment, the 02-05 WRX looks to be best option as they are more readily available

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anybody have any input? I've got my eyes on a 2005 wrx 4eat with the same final drive. Has anybody does this before?

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Does anybody have any input? I've got my eyes on a 2005 wrx 4eat with the same final drive. Has anybody does this before?
Just a general thought, it might pay you to cross refer this query to an Impreza / WRX forum to see if anyone can help there.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 4EAT
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fxt transmission swap is popular into wrxs, but they primarily use the 02-05 4eat from the fxt. My car being a 2006, I can't find any definitive information on whether a 4eat with the same ratio from 02-05 would work

1 - 7 of 7 Posts