1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Forester XT 5-Speed Manual
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'06 FXT Front speaker replacement?

Hi all,
I have a 2006 FXT that I'd like to upgrade. I have the factory 6-disc changer with tweeters. Not sure if they are the factiry upgrade speakers or not.
I am getting mixed signals on what I can and can't do. I've been going to local car stereo stores and I have found the speakers I really want. 6.5" Polk Momo component speakers. Most places just look it up and tell me 6.5" speakers will fit. At another shop today the guy working there was telling me that pretty much no 6.5 aftermarket speaker will fit. He was saying that the window will hit the speaker. He mentioned that he might be able to get a 5.25 in there. Has anyone else had these issues? If so is there any way that I can get those 6.5's in there? If I can't, it isn't the end of the world if I can go with the 5.25's.
My original concern wasn't the mid-bass speakers but rather the tweeters. The tweeter pods don't look very big so I wasn't sure if an aftermarlet tweeter would fit.

Thanks,
Dino

www.thetheos.com

·
Registered
868 Posts
Any competent installer should be able to do 2 things:

1) build a spacer out of 1/4 or 1/2 MDF to allow a 6 1/2 inch woofer to fit in the stock location

2) fit a 1 inch or smaller tweeter in the stock location.

I have CDT EF 61s in my front doors. The tweeters were almost plug and play and the woofers needed a spacer which took me about an hour to cut with a jig saw (for two of them). You'd have to do a search on them to get the mounting depth. I don't know it off hand. Then compare that to your Polks and that would give you an idea if they'll fit. If the depths are close, they should fit with a spacer.

Frank

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
The doors are only 1 7/8" deep so any speaker deeper than this will need a spacer.

I put a set of MB Quart DSE 216s in my front doors. I built a 3/4" spacer out of MDF and I have no clearance issues for the 6 1/2 inch. I did have to trim the plastic around the grill on the inner door panel so the front of the speakers would clear.

The 1/2" tweeters that come with are the exact size of the OEM tweeters and even mount the same way. It is an absolute perfect fit in the tweeter pods.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sea-Scooby,
Thanks for the info. The speakers that I really want are a touch deeper than the MBQuarts you used. Also, the speakers I want use a 1" tweeter....I'll have to double check on that.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
887 Posts
I dunno if the 1" tweeters will fit in the stock tweeter grille... my JL .5 tweeters are snug tight in there

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
dinotheo said:
Sea-Scooby,
Thanks for the info. The speakers that I really want are a touch deeper than the MBQuarts you used. Also, the speakers I want use a 1" tweeter....I'll have to double check on that.

Thanks,
With a 3/4" spacer a speaker even deeper than the MB Quart will fit. I believe you can go a 1/4" deeper. I have lots of room behind the MB Quart 6 1/2".

You can fit a 1" tweeter in the housing but you will need to modify the mounting bracket. The bracket has tabs designed to fit a 1/2", but if you remove those you will gain a bunch of room. It won't effect the exterior appearance either.

·
Registered
868 Posts
My CDT EF-61s are 2 3/4 mounting depth. With the 3/4 spacer they fit. It's close but they don't hit. I'm pretty sure they came with a 1 inch tweeter which fits in the stock location too. I don't even thing I modded anything.

Dino,
If you can make it to Severn in Anne Arundel county any time I can show you. I could pull a door panel off and the tweeter housings.

Frank

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Frank,
Thanks again for the help. This information is extremely helpful. Now I know that I can go with speakers that have 2 3/4 or less mounting depth. Also, thanks on the tweeter information. I really want to go with a fabric tweeter (silk) and it is not easy to find one that is less than 1"

Thanks,

·
Registered
2007 FXT
11 Posts
Hey Dino - if you haven't already, call up Crutchfield. Those guys know exactly what they're doing, and can provide you detailed wiring manuals specifically for your car. I ordered all my replacement speakers through them and had zero issues. 10/10, would recommend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts