Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FSXT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new here in the forums and i have a red XT limited 4AT. i bought it last month and since then ive been planning on doing some modifications to the car. what parts are interchangeable from the wrx & sti? ive done some research but i just wanna make sure im on the right track.

are aftermarket exhausts for the wrx/sti will fit?
aftermarket suspensions i.e, coilovers?

im a former mitsubishi owner & new to subies
thanks i would appreciate the help! :)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Aftermarket exhausts for the STi will generally fit, but you may have to extend the tip and modify the hangers a little. Suspension/coilovers are a direct bolt-on. VF39, STi TMIC & recirc valve, if you have engine management.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh so angled exhausts like injen, hks, apexi will fit? that's good to know.. i don't see too many 06 fxt's around though with mods

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Well, you can make them fit, depending on the exhaust. Some require more persuasion (and help from a muffler shop) than others. BTW, Injen makes an FXT-specific exhaust, I believe.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well probably ill have to retrofit it.. i found somebody here that has the invidia exhaust its the white fxt with the injen up/dp combo

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring HTCVT
943 Posts
I'm considering front and rear swaybars for my XT as my next... well, FIRST real performance upgrade.

Anyone have suggestions on who to go with? Cobb Tuning? Is this something I could install myself without too much trouble, or would I need to take it to a shop?

Also, with preserving ground clearance being somewhat important to me, do sway bars hang lower than the rest of the suspension? From the photos I've seen of them installed, it doesn't look like they do, but I'd like to be sure.

·
Registered
1994 Miata MX-5 5MT
1,887 Posts
that white FXT would be mine.

pretty much any dp will fit on the FXT. since you're an 06, i believe you already have a catless up-pipe. so all you really need is a dp and exhaust. to do the exhaust... you have to use a total of 5 hangers. one on the mid-pipe, and two on each side of the muffler.

you can barely see them, but I am using a long kartboy hanger and the stock hangers to lower the exhaust away from the bumper. but I love my combo. very nice and deep tone. I wish I could get a video of it uploaded. I'll have to ask around.

suspension wise, everyone is right. anything for a WRX will fit the FXT. a buddy of mine (and I think he's on here too somewhere) he's got Megan Racing coils/Whitline rsb/whiteline strut bars. very nice set up in his FXT. very stiff with the coil overs.

but me personally, a good choice of an upgrade first are tires. stock tires suck. I am running Hankook K106's in a 225/50/16 size. very nice tire at a good price. one of the best improvements I have made.

·
11 sec club
04 Cayenne TT
1,486 Posts
We run STi links for the rear sway bar as well, correct? The WRX link there is the U-shaped piece. I'm running the Helix rear links on mine and they were a STi part number.

Sway bars won't affect ground clearance. I'm running a Cusco 22mm rear and it helped with the roll. Tires made the biggest difference.

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
Echo - 18" Wheels and tyres (225/45/18 Toyo T1r's) have made a huuuge difference to my 06 FXT.

Sti struts & Springs/Swaybar/droplinks next / already done the Prodrive 330 BBK and Prodrive Forester Muffler.

Then the Big Fun starts ! Turbo/IC/Fuel pump/injectors/filter/fast flow cat and replacement centre pipe - aiming for 330bhp/330lbs :D

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
The 04/05 STi suspension with the rear swaybar is a nice set up, giving a 3" drop and pretty flat cornering.

For exhaust, FAT, (Forced Air Technologies) has a Forester XT Specific 3" Turboback exhaust. The nice thing is you can get buy the entire system or get it in pieces. You can get the Axelback piece, or the Axelback and resonator section (Catback) or the complete turboback system. They also carry a nice Uppipe.

·
Registered
1994 Miata MX-5 5MT
1,887 Posts
everything off an 04 STi will fit the FXT suspension wise. the struts/shocks are different on an 05+ STi. but the sway bar/endlinks/ect will still work.

anyone here running anything larger than a 22mm RSB? I wanna know what people think. I am looking at a 24mm whiteline for myself.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
ne0stai2dust said:
everything off an 04 STi will fit the FXT suspension wise. the struts/shocks are different on an 05 STi.
Ooops! Had brainfade, thanks for the correction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts