Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem began about three months ago. Attempted to replace downstream O2 sensor. Couldn't get it loose but banging it around knocked the carbon off and the problem went away after I cleared the code.

FFW about two months: Had to replace the failed gasket on the oil cooler that was causing a slow oil leak. Dropped the exhaust/catalytic converter after removing aerodynamic fairings, pulled the oil cooler, cleaned it, installed new gasket, new hoses, new clamps, reinstalled, all is good. In the process, replaced the downstream O2 sensor I couldn't get loose, previously.

Underestimated amount of coolant lost during repair, engine temp qot quite hot, applied a tip from "Click and Clack" and put the heater on max to get home. Added coolant, monitored temps, all is good.

FFW about three weeks: P2095 code appears twice within about two week period. Engine running fine, I just cleared the codes (probably due to temporarily thinned oil from high heat). They haven't come back. But now the P2097 code has re-appeared. From what I read, the cat converter is supposed to handle any rich conditions and one possible problem is that it has gone bad. Thirteen-year-old vehicle, so OK.

Question: Should I replace the upstream O2 sensor which governs the fuel/air combustion mixture before I consider replacing the cat converter?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,945 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Bobby!

Your second link concerning the MAF and throttle body look promising but I cleaned both of those when I replaced the ignition coil, probably just about a year ago. I can certainly blow some cleaner on the MAF sensor again, that's easy enough.

At almost 140,000 miles, it's probably the cat converter. The cost to replace it is less than your average monthly payment for a new or used car, so the math works out :)

Thanks for your input, I'll clean the MAF and go from there.

Steven

1 - 4 of 4 Posts