Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2006 Forester 2.5 X with the premium package and I want to install a new head unit that supports Sirius. I was thinking about a couple different brands, but wanted to know how hard it is to remove the stock double DIN radio? Special tools?

Anyone have the details or the service manual for the Forester?

Also, if I use a single DIN head unit, what is a nice pocket that I can use to fill the other hole. I really don't want to install a black filler pocket when the radio and surrounding dash is silver.

Thanks
-S

D

·
0 Posts
I went with the Alpine 9847, it was the cheapest do all that I could come up with. I love it. They just came up with some newer alpine units that are also nice like the 9856 which has the newer ipod interface that is 20 faster than the previous versions. They make so many units out there that it does make it difficult to chose the one for you, I would just go look at them at the store and see which ones you like.
Good luck with your decision. Oh yeah I did my install and I thought that it was a pain in the but, but you can find info on this forum or on Scooby Mods about taking apart the dashboard. As far as the pocket, I used the one that came with my ride, it is the single din pocket that you can find online for it, it is silver like the dash and is a perfect fit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dlroto said:
I went with the Alpine 9847, it was the cheapest do all that I could come up with. I love it. They just came up with some newer alpine units that are also nice like the 9856 which has the newer ipod interface that is 20 faster than the previous versions. They make so many units out there that it does make it difficult to chose the one for you, I would just go look at them at the store and see which ones you like.
Good luck with your decision. Oh yeah I did my install and I thought that it was a pain in the but, but you can find info on this forum or on Scooby Mods about taking apart the dashboard. As far as the pocket, I used the one that came with my ride, it is the single din pocket that you can find online for it, it is silver like the dash and is a perfect fit.
Based on various posts, I now know how to disassemble the dash to gain access to the radio. It looks like the biggest pain is getting the trim panel off around the radio. Looks like the 5 clips can be a pain un-clip. Any suggestions or hints?

-S

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Just take it slow and easy. I used a thin screwdriver with duct tape around the blade. I actually found the a-pillar harder to remove. Also, if you point the center AC ducts down, you can get your fingers in there and use that to get some grip. But most of all be careful, it's easy to damage the plastic trim and the surrounding materials.

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah and some of the wiring clips are a pain to get off fromt he hazard switch and the ac stuff are the biggest pains, I barely could fit my habd up there to get that thing off.

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
Galager said:
Just take it slow and easy. I used a thin screwdriver with duct tape around the blade.
I've been using a very stiff 1.5" putty knife/scraper and it works very well. The putty knife is wide and thin so it is easy to get it quite far down between the bezel and dash. And since it is wide there is less fear of damaging the dash material.

After removing the 2 screws at the bottom of the bezel - pry first to either side of vents (only enough to release clip), then pry at top center (again, only enough to release clip), then pry at opposite side of vents to completely release bezel. Then wrestle with AC and Hazards clips.

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
TAGXT04 said:
I've been using a very stiff 1.5" putty knife/scraper and it works very well. The putty knife is wide and thin so it is easy to get it quite far down between the bezel and dash. And since it is wide there is less fear of damaging the dash material.

After removing the 2 screws at the bottom of the bezel - pry first to either side of vents (only enough to release clip), then pry at top center (again, only enough to release clip), then pry at opposite side of vents to completely release bezel. Then wrestle with AC and Hazards clips.
Good idea. I'll have to get myself one of those.

·
Registered
2006 forester XT AT VF43
441 Posts
I bought the Alpine 9856 and while I'm just getting use to it..The radio and overall sound does not seem as full as the stock premium head unit. Does the premium head unit have more power?...I was told I would get about a 30% boost in quality of sound. I only have listened to about 10 mins and so far I'm not impressed.

I'm checking to make sure all the speakers are working..etc

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I personally went with the JVC KDDV5100. It matches the dash perfect, has Sirius support, a front AUX in (use for my Nano) and it plays both video and mp3 DVDs (GigaMP3). Nothing beats having 11,000 tracks on 1 disc. I also picked up a monitor for watching movies on long trips/ferry rides.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts