Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a weekend driver, take public transportation during the week, and since I've purchased my Forester I've had problems with the battery draining.

Initially the problem was the Mobile Guardian security system which others were having problems with too. The service department replaced it with a Karrtrack system which seemed to help for quite a while until recently.

When I've taken my car in they always say the battery is fine, that I just need to drive it more as the electronics drain the battery (unlike older cars).

Anybody else have this problem? Other than this problem I really like my Forester.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
you may have weakened the battery from numerous draining/charging cycles. I have left my 03X for 3 weeks and it started fine.

Check the alternator for proper output voltage. You could leave the neg cable disconnected during the week and then re connect b4 driving. It the battery will start the car where usually you had to get a jump then you could have a drain to find.

Disconnecting the battery will cause you to loose the presets and also the ECU will need to re learn. But at least you'll know the battery is ok.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
I agree. 3 possible causes. 1: Battery is bad. 2: alternator is bad in some way. 3: you have a drain somewhere that's not suppose to be there.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I have not run into an issue with a Subaru yet but I have with a few GMs where the radio would start to have a high draw when the car was shut down and the radio was off.

I would follow Erling's suggestion.
Once you find the circuit with the high draw, then you can narrow it down by checking the individual items on that circuit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts