Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forestor
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 forester went in for an oil change and when it was done the mechanic at my dealership said that the head gaskets were leaking. WHAT! I only have 110 000 km on my car. Anyone else have this happen and if so what did your dealership do. Subaru canada says that I am the second owner of the car due to the dealership where I bought it from driving it for a while. I did all maintenance according to the book. This sucks.

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
2,039 Posts
Welcome to the forums, sorry to hear of your bad luck.

I'm beginning to think Subaru cannot make (or at least design) a decent head gasket.

Do you know if the coolant conditioner was used? That's supposed to extend the warranty on the head gaskets. At least it did on the models up to 03. Not sure about after that as the problem was supposed to be cured.

When I checked recently for my wife's 08 OB, the coolant conditioner still needed to be added according to SOA.

I'm curious to see how the HG's last on the diesels.

·
Registered
06 Forestor
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out that Subaru is going to do a goodwill warranty deal with me, split it 50/50. While it is out I am going to get the camshaft drive belts done, anything else I should look at? I don't want to do anything major again in 40,000km. While the engine is out its cheaper and easier to do now. Any advice.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
There are a few lists on here for what to do when doing a timing belt but the general list is:

-cam seals
-cranks seal
-reseal the oil pump
-T-belt idler pulleys if the feel like the bearings are loose/dry
-Hydraulic tensioner for the T-belt

If you are in a cold climate now is the time to put in a block heater, easy access and the coolant will be drained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts