Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two urgent questions! Can I use the Wix canister filter I purchased? It is the filter according to Wix but it is the same as the 2.5l oil filter. The Subaru filter I removed states Trans only. Secondly, I checked the level yesterday after a 75 mile trip. It was about a half inch over fill with the outside temp 45. I've read 3.5 quarts to 5q. I drained 5.5 out. Should I replace that much? Trans works fine! Thank You!

PostScript: Well I bit the bullet and drove 20 miles and bought the $33 Subaru filter. I realize dip sticks are often not accurate so since I measured 6 quarts out I put 6 in. My only other concern would be that the fluid was very brown. It still smelled fine but it was probably the darkest I've ever noticed. Usually I can tell the fluid was at least red at one time. Maybe it's a Subaru thing!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,390 Posts
Brown is bad....too old!
Not necessarioy. Oil analysis is really the only way unless it smells burnt.

Good move springing for the Suvie filter. I assume you checked the level with the enginbe running and how after shifting slowly through the gears.

When the car is on the level you should only get about 6 ounces short of a gallon out. I would say you are overfilled.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts