Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester X AWS Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The standard radio/cd changer in my 2006 Forester has a persistant fault (error 99) on the CD player, and as I like MiniDiscs (hey, I'm getting old, I'm allowed to be old-fashioned!) I found and bought a JDM Subaru factory-fitted radio/CD/MD in double-DIN. Since Japan uses a different band of VHF from the UK I was expecting to need a frequency converter, and I have one on order.

Apart from the 14-way socket block, the other sockets looked different and I was prepared to lose the steering-wheel controls, but what I wasn't expecting is that the antenna connectiont has two sockets for pins, rather than the traditional single coaxial one. Anyone lknow if this is for two antennas, or if it's a two-pole connector for a single antenna? (I mean are the two what would usually be the centre and outside connectors?).

It's a Clarion and I've tried googling the part number (PF-4090B-D) but there seems to be no information about them whatsoever - not even a user manual, let alone wiring details.

Anybody have any information, or a pointer to where I could find it, please?

Cheers,
Howard

Here are photos of the sockets concerned - the first shows the twin-socket antenna connector and the "standard" 14-way socket that seems to be common to all Subarus, the second shows a 2-pin Molex connector, and a strange square socket with about 13 ways. I haven't seen any of these sockets described or wiring diagrams posted except for the 14-way one. And I've looked hard! :)
Gas Metal Composite material Circle Fixture Audio equipment Gas Gadget Electronic device Machine

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,961 Posts

Gas Machine Font Rectangle Fixture

Reactions: HDRW

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,961 Posts
Font Circuit component Electronic device Gadget Machine

Reactions: HDRW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks very much for the links! So the square socket is CeNET, and the double-antenna socket is a Diversity antenna connector (for two antennas). I've found a converter cable on eBay for this that's a lot cheaper than the one from InCarTec - their postage charge is more than I'm paying for the eBay one all together! :)
So I'm on the route to getting it working (I also have the frequency converter) and I'll report back with progress.
I've also found there's a CeNET device available from Germany that adds USB, SD-card, and Aux input - that will be phase II, once I get it working on its own.
Cheers,
Howard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the cable for the dual-antenna plug arrived, it's described as "OEM NISSAN DIVERSITY ANTENNA ADAPTOR" and although nobody seems to know if the same one is used by Subaru, apparenty it is - it fits!
Usb cable Adapter Adapter Gas Wood

As you can see it has the two plugs to fit the sockets in my earlier photo, and the plastic side-clip which fits into the slot on one side of the socket (at the bottom in this photo).
Since it's for Diversity antennas, I presume the car designed for this has two of them, but this cable just commons the two pins together and connects that to the centre of the "standard" antenna socket at the other end (not shown). The frequency converter then plugs into that, and the existing antenna cable plugs into the frequency converter (which, annoyingly, needs 12V supplied to it). I may try to use the "Antenna amplifier power" cable for this.
So as soon as I have a couple of hours to spare I'll get the old radio out and see how this all works in practice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, it's in and working! As I said, I installed the diversity antenna adaptor, then a frequency converter, and the antenna connected to that.
To power the frequency converter I cut the blue/white wire in position 14 of the main socket, and using a Wago 3-way connector to join the two cut ends to the red wire from the frequency converter, so the latter is powered-up whenever the antenna amplifier is (the radio does this so it may be always when on, or only when AM or FM is selected).
The issue is that the Japanese VHF band is 76 to 90MHz (so 14Mhz wide) whereas ours is 88 to 108MHz (20MHz wide). Since the converter is linear, reducing a fixed amount, it can't cover the whole of our band. The converter I got "solves" this by having two subtracting frequencies - 14 and 28MHz that are on all the time, so there is overlap of 104-108 with 90 to 94MHz, so two stations may be heard fighting it out to be heard! Unfortunately the station Iisten to most clashes with another. I may look for a converter that does it a different way, perhaps with a switch to select which range to use.

Apart from the above issue, there's no RDS (does Japan have it?) so no station identification, and no Traffic Information inturrupt. Bus I have a 6-CF changer, and a MiniDisc player, and may get the USB/SD/Auc input device that I mentioned.

I have to say that the Youtube videos on how to remove the radio really don't give the impression of how hard it is to un-pop the plastic radio surround/Climate Control panel (took me 15 mins or so), and remove the Climate Control connectors - I needed a large pair of narrow-nose pliers to hold in the release button and pull the socket loose - could not do it with fingers.

But it's done!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts