Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2006 - Emptied transmission, overfilled engine oil - did I ruin it?

('06-'08) 
1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  2.5x_sleeper 
#1 ·
There's no excuse as I've had Subarus for 25 years... but, on my 2006 Forester non turbo, I emptied the auto transmission, put an oil filter on the trans filter spot, and then put a gallon on engine oil into the engine oil fill. You got it, the car wouldn't move and then started blowing smoke as it was now burning oil.

So, I will empty all of the engine oil out, refill appropriately, refill the auto trans and put the right trans filter on it.

The trans is likely ok, but, did I trash the engine with it having way too much oil?

In my defense, it's been 10 years since i had a modern Subaru so I totally didn't remember that the oil drain and oil filter is underneath some plastic.

Gosh, I am so dumb, but, did I ruin it?

Thanks

Mark
Myersville, MD

#2 ·
@LostWater I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

To answer your question...
did I ruin it?
Odds are no damage, but you will know after you do this:
So, I will empty all of the engine oil out, refill appropriately, refill the auto trans and put the right trans filter on it.
Note that the ATF filter is special & expensive. Most members would recommend going with a factory/OEM ATF filter.
• Recommended fluid:
SUBARU ATF HP
• Substitute fluid:
IDEMITSU: ATF HP
Castrol: Transmax J
Pennzoil Quaker State: Pennzoil ATF-J
• Capacity:
Fill with the same amount of ATF that was drained from drain plug hole.
• Capacity when transmission is overhauled:
9.3 — 9.62 (9.8 — 10.1 US qt, 8.2 — 8.4 Imp qt)
Let the forum know how it turns out by updating this thread.

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.