Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have to ask. I have a 2006 L.L. Bean Edition Forester with the automatic climate control. I'm thrilled that this fact makes installing my aftermarket stereo easier than if I had manual controls, but here's my question. In all the write-ups, it's mentioned that the automatic shift lever has to be in the lowest position in order to remove the trim panel surrounding it. Now I know the suggested way to do that is to pry up that little tab at the top of the lever and pushing the button underneath it. But I have to ask, is there any harm in just putting the lever in the lowest position with the engine running (and foot on the brake) and then shutting the engine off?

·
Registered
2005 Forester X
225 Posts
You wouldn't even have to have the engine running. Just turn to the key to the ON position and depress the brake. I don't see any harm, but you won't be able to get the key out unless it is in park. The tab is easy enough that I always do that.

My other thought is that usually you would disconnect the battery before starting, which would make it impossible to get out of park by any method other than pressing the little override button under the tab.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is great. Thanks for the quick answers. I hadn't even thought about either of those facts you mentioned. I guess that why they tell you to pop that tab and push the button to release the lever. ;)

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts