Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XQ 4EAT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have an 06 SG with an A/C problem. The clutch doesn’t engage. The radiator fans come on like it’s suppose to. Anybody ever see 5V at the ECM output of the AC relay. It’s suppose to ground it I think. When I turn off the A/C from the countrol unit the ECM output goes back to 0V.

ECM or the Auto A/C control unit toast?

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
736 Posts
Have you got a wiring diag.?

Have you tested the power supply to relay; then power supply to pressure switch; then power supply output, from the pressure switch back to the relay?

Is the relay working correctly, on both poles?

Will the AC magnet actuate, if you disconnect it from wiring circuit, and connect an alternate power source to it?

Does your A/C control unit have a self-test mode?
D77790C4-4CE4-4EBB-AF17-CAD7E99197A6.jpeg 0A34B2D7-5AAA-4CD0-95F8-F68DAF1E803D.jpeg D7F8CF35-58F3-43F4-A947-EBA6F126D6F5.jpeg F27A1520-7132-4AF1-A295-A510B87CA941.jpeg

·
Registered
2006 Forester XQ 4EAT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes to all of your question in fact the other side of the relay is getting solid battery volts- which comes form the pressure switch. The Ac compressor works as well when I feed ground to the relay. I do have the wiring diagrams. The ECU grounds the AC comp relay when it gets a signal from the Auto Ac control module- as long as it’s getting a signal from the pressure switch - same wire that feeds the AC relay positive side. My ECU is not grounding but instead it’s sending + 4.9V to the AC comp relay when I hit the AC button.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XQ 4EAT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok Update- I hooked up FreeSSM, Mid pressure switch does not turn on. Everything else does when I hit the AC button. I may need to run the diagnostics— was that a green conmector I need to plug in under the dash first? Also should there be continuity between ports 3 and 4 on the AC pressure switch? 1 and 2 does.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
736 Posts
Mid pressure switch will turn on and off at specified pressure ranges. So you wont see continuity across 3 and 4, until that specified pressure parameter is met (256 psi). Below 198 psi, the mid pressure switch is off.

The High/Low pressure switch will be the same, but it has four pressure thresholds; 2 for ‘on’, and 2 for ‘off’ (one each, at both high and low pressure). Pressure switch is ‘on’ at 30 psi (low pressure range). This signifies that there is pressurised gas in the system. If it drops below 25 psi, the low pressure switch is ‘off’, signifying a leak etc.

Green Test connector will cycle all the solenoids, fans etc. in the car.

A/C self-test in on the A/C control unit, if your car has one (i.e. not manual A/C operation).

·
Registered
2006 Forester XQ 4EAT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I am burned out - I did both diagnostics.

sunload sensor is inop but that shouldn’t make the A/C not work.

I am still seeing 5V even at the bulkhead connector b100 from the ECU going to the A/C relay. fan and subfan turn on and off with green connector plugged in- still nothing at the clutch relay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts