Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha!

The driver power window leaves a gap of about half inch open.
Running it up and down does not help.
If I pull the window up with my hands during closing it will close fully.

? Is the motor bad

Mahalo
puu

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
You may want to check whether there's a reset procedure for your year. It usually involves rolling the window down and holding the switch for a bit. It should be in the manual.
If reset doesn't work, it could be the motor or it may have a bald spot on the regulator.

(edit: the regulator, before you're wondering, is in this case nothing electrical. It is the actuating arm that makes the window move)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you fir your speedy reply!
I just compared both sides and it seems the driver side motor has to work hard or on its last leg to get the window up. The passenger side sounds so much more powerful and pushes all the way up.
The driver side motor sounds week. Wonder what the regulator does, the mechanics still work.
Can I by just the motor?

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Thank you fir your speedy reply!
I just compared both sides and it seems the driver side motor has to work hard or on its last leg to get the window up. The passenger side sounds so much more powerful and pushes all the way up.
The driver side motor sounds week. Wonder what the regulator does, the mechanics still work.
Can I by just the motor?
The motor drives this larger mechanism ("regulator") that moves the window.
If it moves slow, perhaps there's a lot of friction in the system. It may not necessarily be due to the motor. It may need some lubricating. The mechanism could be jammed somehow.
You may need to take the door card off to see what's happening inside.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it!
Over time (3 month now) every week seems it is loosing power. Now the last half inch is just to much to push for the system.
I will look inside and lubricate what I can...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was able to lubricate the mechanic and now it rolls all the way up! The motor sounds like coming into the years - but I cross my fingers that it will last....

Thanks so much REMCO!

·
Registered
non-subaru
911 Posts
Was able to lubricate the mechanic and now it rolls all the way up! The motor sounds like coming into the years - but I cross my fingers that it will last....

Thanks so much REMCO!
NP. Glad to help and good to see you got it fixed without it costing money.

Another thing that helps is to put just just a dab of silicone lubricant on the rubber the glass runs against.
Besides keeping the rubber flexible and looking shiny, it also reduces friction it offers to the glass.

Just use a silicone lube without smell:
I made the mistake once of using PB blaster silicone. That stank the car up badly - but the windows were really happy. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts