Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2006 - Doing the Sports bumper conversion "correctly"!

('06-'08) 
45K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  Bobby_Chombo 
#1 ·
Ok so I am about to pull the trigger on all the stuff I need for the sports bumper conversion on my 06 FXT and want some confirmation.
I have read the few threads on the subject here but am still slightly confused.

Here is my parts list:

Fender Liner Right 59110SA022
Fender Liner Left 59110SA032
Bumper Cover (Sports) 57704SA090
Bumper Grill Cover (right) 57731SA190
Bumper Grill Cover (left) 57731SA180
Front (Sports) Grille- 91121SA140
Sports Undercover 56410SA090

Now, the MAJOR question is with regards to the under tray (or under cover).
Some have reported that the stock FXT under tray does not line up properly with the new sports bumper cover, nor do the fender liners.
My goal is to have this be as transparent of a swap as is possible, so I am willing to spend the extra $80.00 on the under tray, and the additional $80.00 on the fender liners to make it look and feel like it was meant to be there.
I do not like using zip ties and velcro.

can anyone who has done this swap confirm that replacing these extra parts is really the correct way to do the swap seamlessly?

Thanks!

See less See more
#11 ·
I spent about $500 in parts (everything on the above list). Another $500 in paint, but that included re-doing the hood, STI scoop, rear mudflaps, rear hatch spoiler and the new Sports nose.

Several people said they re-used the regular fender liners, they dont exactly fit, but zipties are used. You can also re-use your belly pan, they are the same. So you could shave that parts list down some and if you shopped around, could probably get just the nose painted off the car for $200.

#15 ·
Fog lights deleted?

I'd like to ask whoever did this from an XT Premium what did you do about the fog lamps?

I've seen some people relocate them to behind the grill, but not sure how much this affects radiator efficiency, while others get the compact fogs and stuff them in the lower lip slot...

Thoughts, preferences, pros/cons welcome...
P

#20 ·
I'd like to ask whoever did this from an XT Premium what did you do about the fog lamps?

I've seen some people relocate them to behind the grill, but not sure how much this affects radiator efficiency, while others get the compact fogs and stuff them in the lower lip slot...

Thoughts, preferences, pros/cons welcome...
P
Using a few relays, I re-wired the OEM fog light dash switch to activate my Hella Rallye Compact driving lights when (1) the dash switch is engaged and (2) I turn on the high beams. The grille does not effect a narrow-beam driving light as much as it would a fog (wide beam) light.

See my "old man's toaster" link below.

#16 · (Edited)
Does anyone know whether the part that is different between a normal fender liner and a sports fender liner - i.e. the horizontal bit with the little tas/ears is sold separately?

A friend that has bought the sports bumper is looking to buy the correct fender liner but due to the bulkiness of the whole liner he is looking to get only the different part that.

What I am talking about is held with 2 clips and 2 pins, the clips can be drilled out, it's the part circled.

#19 ·
I was bored and plugged the part numbers in at SGP... looks like you're right.

F GRILLE AY
Make: Subaru | Part#: 91121SA140
List Price: $299.95
Your Price: $219.56

BUMPER FACE F U4
Make: Subaru | Part#: 57704SA090
List Price: $219.95
Your Price: $161.00

#21 ·
Back from the dead!
I placed my order for front bumper cover this weekendnfrom subaruonlineparts. I had an email this morning saying they dont ship big parts. I thought it was kind of strange for an online business but whatever. Placed my order at the dealer, after the bulk shipping price they quoted me the dealer price was the same.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Has anyone found the part number for the Sports fender liner, or been able to order the pieces that are different?

I bought part 59110SA022 and have the gap between the outside fender and the liner. I called my local parts department and they did not know. I can't find info on this anywhere, just that people know the Sports is different.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.