Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 41 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forester S-Edition (wrx variant) 2.5T
3 Posts
My Subarus were run in my business and service costs were claimed as tax expenses so I was a bit separated from feeling the pain of worrying! However I do remember our service contractor telling me he only ever supplied genuine Subaru parts because aftermarket parts were not as good and cost more in the long run. From what I recall today, we never had any serious issues in two decades of Subarus so I think his advice must have been good. Routine servicing with all vehicles also involved replacing the rocker cover gaskets as these leaked sooner or later because of the engine configuration and attitude. For the same reason, checking the oil level was tricky because those boxer engines "hide" the oil. One morning it may look like the oil is low so you add some more until it looks OK. Then the next day it is reading up to the second hole and there is far too much oil in the system. I never figured it out even with the current Forester and if it reaches the first nick in the stick I assume everything is correct. It it does get too low, the lifters start chattering so you immediately put some oil in.

Reminds me of the time my better half complained there was too much static on her car radio to hear the stations. It was not a priority in the scheme of things so I left it. until In a couple of days she complained even louder so I went to see and discovered her Ford had absolutely no oil and it was the hydraulic lifters clattering in the engine that she was describing as static on the radio. It was already high mileage and this finally cost me the engine so we scrapped the vehicle. Traded it to the local garage as parts in exchange for a trailer as I remember now.

The point is - Don't let your Subaru run out of oil (unless you are looking for a cheap trailer :)

41 - 41 of 41 Posts