Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out what did I damage on my 06 forester xt 4eat. From the noise that I’m hearing it is either the front differential or the 4eat transmission.
It sounds like a high pitch grinding / whining noise in all rpm’s when I get off the gas, and also, when I put my hand on the shift lever, I can feel it vibrating way above normal.
In the beginning I thought it is the turbo spooling (slowing down) that I hear via an exhaust leak, but it is not that. And it is not tire pressure.

Last week I had installed an automatic transmission oil cooler, vf34, sti ic, helix catted dp.
Everything sounded fine until I left the tuner shop where I had it dyno protuned.

So I went to check what this noise is, and I found out that the installer had added ATF (to top off what spilled from the transmission oil cooler installation) in the differential instead of in the transmission.
This is when I knew this is going to be bad.
We flushed the differential and added 1.3 quarts of synthetic Mobil1 75w90 hoping that it will cure the noise. Well, it didn’t!

I am still not sure if it is the front differential from over filling it with the wrong oil OR the automatic transmission from being dyno’d hard.

Did anyone have that kind of noise? What can it be?
I am still under warranty, but when the dealer will pop up the hood, I can say bye-bye to the warranty.
What can replacing/fixing the front differential could cost me?

I have so many questions and concerns right now, that it is giving me a headache from worrying…

ANY advice will help

thanks

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
Even with some ATF mixed into the gear oil it should still be viscous enough to properly lubricate the differential.

My feeling is that the seal between the differential and the transmission failed under the load of dynoing and allowed the ATF to spill into the differential case which in turn caused a failure in the transmission due to lack of lubrication.

Just my .02, without being able to see/hear/touch it is hard to say.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I had the feeling that some extra ATF in the diff won't be so horrible.

I am going to have to drop it at a Subaru dealer and suffer the consequences. :frown:

I wish I knew which dealer is mod friendly here in Socal.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
Best bet is to go to whichever dealer you bought it from or where you have had it serviced (whichever you have more rapport with)

Basically with dealerships, if we know you and know you are a good guy you have a better chance of warranty coverage than joe schmo off the street (unless your name is joe schmo :lol:)

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
What tuner did you take it to and what dyno did they use? My 4EAT FXT suffered some front diff damage from a run on i-speed's Dynapack a couple years ago which resulted in similar symptoms (they couldn't figure out how to lock the diff into a 50/50 split).

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 4EAT FXT suffered some front diff damage from a run on i-speed's Dynapack a couple years ago which resulted in similar symptoms (they couldn't figure out how to lock the diff into a 50/50 split).
So you had to replace your front diff? how much did that cost?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
So you had to replace your front diff? how much did that cost?
We actually didn't have to replace it... it just screamed like crazy under hard accel for 6 months or so, and than the noise gradually went away after several fluid changes. :shrug:

·
Registered
2006 forester XT AT VF43
441 Posts
I believe mod friendly dealers in SoCal are Rennick and South Coast.

BTW, I'm scheduled to have my '06 4EAT protuned at the same place that HulkMax has his done. Should I be concerned or hold off?. Silke, what so I ask the tuner to ensure we have this covered and I will not suffer the same fate as HulkMax.

Thanks and concerned,

Deparko

·
Registered
2006 forester XT AT VF43
441 Posts
btw. The tuner is Harman Motive and he has a Dynajet AWD dynometer. Dan Harman has tuned a million subies and is highly recommended. I don't know how many 4EAT's he has done.

In a prior Hulkmax post, he mentioned that Dan had to rig a switch for the AT

Deparko

·
30 Meters
2006 XTi - VF39 Protune!
5,892 Posts
I believe mod friendly dealers in SoCal are Rennick and South Coast.

BTW, I'm scheduled to have my '06 4EAT protuned at the same place that HulkMax has his done. Should I be concerned or hold off?. Silke, what so I ask the tuner to ensure we have this covered and I will not suffer the same fate as HulkMax.

Thanks and concerned,

Deparko

An answer to this is definately worth noting for the 4EAT peeps.

I have 5MT but just looking out.

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
Dynapacks are a No-No on Forester 4EATs (and maybe others). In addition to Silke's problems, I spoke to one tuner who would not place my car on his Dynapack, as he knew it would have problems.

DynoJet is the same brand of dyno that mine was tuned on, with no apparent issues. However, at some times, during coast down, I did notice that the front and rear wheels were turning at different speeds. This was at very slow speeds.

Now, I am an Engineer, and I tend to be conservative, based on that, I never let my stuff be the guinea pig, unless I know all about it. That is why I chose the tuner I did. The other guy did not have a dyno that would handle my car.

·
Registered
2006 forester XT AT VF43
441 Posts
btw..I bet Dan has done a ton of WRX 4EATs. Is there a big difference between the FXT and WRX 4EAT, at least in the technique of tuning?

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
btw..I bet Dan has done a ton of WRX 4EATs. Is there a big difference between the FXT and WRX 4EAT, at least in the technique of tuning?
Yup.

I-speed thought they had it all figured out.

They put some "custom" wiring circuit which had been designed for a WRX 4EAT transmission into place, and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. It's interesting that everyone else seems to think that they can get away with that too.

I then told I-speed to simply shift the vehicle into second gear, and try it that way...and the wheel speeds instantly locked together with the torque split that they wanted. Mind you, there were CEL lights flashing, etc. but at least we learned our lesson. Don't EVER put your Forester 4EAT on a Dynapak dyno. I'll keep all four wheels ON the car, thanks!!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
^^ +1 What he said!!

One thing people with 4EATs here need to realize. They (myself included) are in the minority!! Most modifications are done on manual trannys!! Most shops that work on WRXs, STis, EVOs, are dealing with manuals!! Subaru may sell a lot of autos, but most that get modded, are manuals! So, you have to be vigilant when it comes to that tranny. Oh, and get a tranny cooler!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before I go and drop it off at the dealer, I just want to get an idea of what kind of damage should I expect in your opinion?

·
Registered
98 Forester
338 Posts
I have so many questions and concerns right now, that it is giving me a headache from worrying…
Is the installer not paying for the damages or something? I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't... it's a pretty dumb assed mistake.

What is the fluid capacity of the transmission oil cooler? Does your car come with a smaller cooler stock?

I wonder if the fluid capacity of the new cooler + the capacity of the lines + the amount of fluid lost during the install would be enough to cause the transmission to run dangerously low on fluid.

On the other hand, the danger in overfilling the diff with ATF is not the resultant viscosity of the fluid but the act itself of overfilling it. With too much fluid in there it could froth up.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
you need to work with the shop that screwed up, not the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
before a tuner even touches your car, he will make you sign a release form...which is what I signed. :shrug:
And then you let him put on a trans cooler? You really need to tell everyone the name of the business that botched that very simple job.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts