Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Premium 5 spd
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. First time posting on here, would love any feedback. I get this chirping or squeaking sound,
, sometimes more than others, whenever the clutch pedal is fully released. As soon as the pedal puts a slight amount of pressure on the clutch the chirp goes away. Anyone know what this is? Can I fix it?

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
981 Posts
Welcome.
Easy answer: TOB aka Throw Out Bearing.
The fix: Do a clutch job. Cause you have to get to it some how.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update on this (oops I forgot), Mr.AC was spot on. Unfortunately I just had a new clutch put in when I bought the car so I'm not replacing the clutch assembly because of little squeak. As annoying as it is, it's not $900 annoying 🙄

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
981 Posts
Just an update on this (oops I forgot), Mr.AC was spot on. Unfortunately I just had a new clutch put in when I bought the car so I'm not replacing the clutch assembly because of little squeak. As annoying as it is, it's not $900 annoying 🙄
I get it. Unless you do it yourself I would just replace the TOB, and leave the clutch alone. Its a different story if you paid a mechanic to do it. (some would call that madness)
I have helped out a few BRZ buddies swap out just the TOB's with just under 40k miles ( did the same to my old BRZ too). Lot of work for a $50-ish part. But a couple of hours of my time and saved the $300+ for a new clutch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get it. Unless you do it yourself I would just replace the TOB, and leave the clutch alone. Its a different story if you paid a mechanic to do it. (some would call that madness)
I have helped out a few BRZ buddies swap out just the TOB's with just under 40k miles ( did the same to my old BRZ too). Lot of work for a $50-ish part. But a couple of hours of my time and saved the $300+ for a new clutch.
Yeah no doubt. If there were any resources out there that show how to do it I would definitely take a crack at it. Do you know of any since you've done it before? How did you learn?

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
981 Posts
Yeah no doubt. If there were any resources out there that show how to do it I would definitely take a crack at it. Do you know of any since you've done it before? How did you learn?
They way I learned was buying online repair manuals from the dealer/auto part store. or...(download scaned free versions). Also step by step guides online, either from forums or some dude's blog. There are tons out there.
Now a days you can just youtube it. There are a hand full of good ones.

If you have basic hand tools it would be enough. What makes things way easier is having tall jack stands (like ones for SUV's) A good floor jack that goes up high, and a tranny jack. Optional buddy to hand you tools and beers.
You can knock it out in one afternoon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts