Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So, I sprung for a Foxwell NT630 plus. Under $100. I must say it seems a well built piece. Had tried some of the apps with the bluetooth, but they all left me unhappy.

It reports LR sensor is bad.and has a prior code for the LF. I attempted to clear the code but when I recheck the LR still reports bad.

I got under the car and nothing looks torn, twisted or worn. Not much rust anywhere, either.

Its it reasonable to just order a new sensor based on this? I think it is pretty unlikely the signal wheel is bad, given it reports right away. But I guess there could be a cable or connector problem inside the car? Prudent to check that first?

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@Kevin No have not had the rear wheel off. Is it ABS code 27, if that means anything. The link did not seem to trigger any ideas for me.

Is there no way to check the sensor, other than replacing it? While the FSM I have shows a waveform, it is not clear how to monitor that with the connector in place. I may look over my new toy to see if that can be read via the OBDC connector.

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I guess my earlier response did not post. What sort of dirt and dust are we seeking?

Before I order a sensor, I was going to pull the rear seat and check connectors, etc. And probably pull at least the LR wheel and disk to get a look at the ring and also the PB. The PB works fine and holds (a NYS inspection item) but make a loud BANG when engaging. No real noise while driving, but I want to figure that out before going ahead with parts ordering.

BTW, the FSM refers to checking the clearance, disc to sensor spacing, with a special service tool, but does not give the clearance and does not mention HOW to adjust it. Just aligning water fowl, of the duck persuasion.

·
Administrator
12,406 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Is the space held on by 4 bolts or screws accessed via holes in the wheel flange? Spaces I can make up of out stainless?

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Prem 4EAT
591 Posts
The abs sensors tend to seize and break off in the mounting holes in the rear backing plates (I went through that on my Impreza & Forester), if the vehicle has corrosion present in the area. You'll likely have to remove the caliper, the rotor and unbolt the abs tone ring from the hub (there are 4 allen head bolts) to gain access from the other side to punch it out. I wouldn't be surprised if the parking brake hardware is rusted apart, missing and the shoe linings are coming apart too.

·
Registered
06 Forester, 02 Tacoma
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So, I moved the rear seat far enough to unplug the sensor and measured the resistance, which is open. Good enough for me I guess.

The banging noise I heard is only when moving forward and applying the PB. Never in reverse, well so far. I'm thinking it is just set too loose and I need to adjust the shoes closer to the "drum" on the disk. Yes, rear disks, so not self adjusting. Sad.

Of course being the LR, it is the most expensive, for some odd reason. Why? Fails most often, so they can charge more?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts