Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sports
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have done many searches, and started to collect the parts for my project. But I still have some questions that I hope can be answered.

I have a 2008 X Sports. I have 04 STI struts. Going to convert the drums over to rear discs using an 02 Forester rear disc conversion from Singincanary. This so I could get some kartboys adapters and fit the 2 pots.

But, can I just use the 06 WRX rear knuckles/hubs and avoid using the kartboy adapters? I wondered how the 06 WRX rear knuckles differ from Forester rear disc knuckles, aside from where the caliper mounts to it.

For the ebrake, would I use the 02 forester cables, or the 06 WRX cables?

Also, do I need the front WRX knuckles and hubs to mount the 4pots? Or do the 4 pots mount directly to the Forester knuckles?

Lastly, what would be a suitable master cylinder? Would a WRX item work best and swap right in?

Okay, I know thats alot. I have seen some of this covered but with different applications so I just wanted to double check my specific situation with all of you out there.

Thank you all,
Darren

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,170 Posts
the only useful info i can add is on the master cylinder. you can use an 02-05wrx or 04+ sti mc, they are all the same. the 06+ wrx mc is smaller.

·
Registered
05 XT Lux
207 Posts
I recently did a front 4 pot conversion on my 05XT. simple direct bolt on.
Do you have aftermarket wheels becasue the stock steel rims will NOT clear the 4pot calipers

My stock alloys clears it by only a few mm but that's enough

I kept my stock master cylinder and that does the job fine

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts
But, can I just use the 06 WRX rear knuckles/hubs and avoid using the kartboy adapters? I wondered how the 06 WRX rear knuckles differ from Forester rear disc knuckles, aside from where the caliper mounts to it.

For the ebrake, would I use the 02 forester cables, or the 06 WRX cables?

There is no reason you could not use the 06 WRX rear knuckles/hubs to avoid using the Kartboy adapters. You mentioned you are using the parts from another Forester, so that is why you would want to use the kartboy adapters. Otherwise, you are buying duplicate parts.

Some one with more brake experience than I can chime in on the ebrake question.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sports
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4or2wheels- thanks for the MC info. Perhaps I should get an 06/07 wrx since it was matched with 4/2 pots from the factory, unless the 08 X Sports uses the same size.

Gopher, I have yet to put the 02 forester rear disc conversion on yet, I was thinking i would just skip that and go with the WRX units and do it w/o the adapter. I have bought the 02 parts, but I will resell them if the WRX items work. I have heard from someone on nasioc that says they bolt on no problem. I am gonna give it a shot. I will report my findings haha.

Gorotsuki69- sweet we have the same wheels, glad to see the 4 pots sitting under them nicely- I was thinking about spraying my wheels satin black. I wonder if your XT has the same MC as my XSports...

Now its the the ebrake cable issue. I will have an 02 forester cable that came with the disc conversion, as well as my 08 cable that ends at my ugly azz drums. not sure if a drum brake ebrake cable will work with the 2 pots. Anyone ever tried to do this?

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
I'll jump in here.

Not sure if the drum brake e-brake cables will work with the rear disk hubs. However, the cables with the rear disk hubs should work fine for your foz.

You can use the '06 WRX rear hubs and not have to use the kartboy adapters (that's what I did), but the '06 WRX e-brake cables are about an inch shorter than the Forester ones and game me an issue when I did my swap. I had to get the longer ebrake handle cable and swap them out (not a big deal).

The 4pots (without raised letters) should fit under the stock split 6-spoke wheels as pictured above.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
As for the MC, most people recommend picking up the STi MC as it's a little bigger than the stock one 1 1/16" vs 1". I MAY have a spare one by the time we meet in Boston if I can get an hour at the shop before then.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sports
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Singincanary- Sweet, well I am glad to know the WRX parts will work. I will most likely end up keeping the cables I get from you (and buying the front section of appropriate length), and selling off the disc conversion to someone else on the hunt.

I think I could scratch up for the STI MC if its ready to go and in hand, thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Forester X Sports
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so I'm still in a little bit of a haze about the ebrake cable, I am hoping my Sports/drum cable will fit when I put the 06 WRX hubs on.

When buying rotors, can I just purchase 06 WRX rotors. I find the fronts are the same between Foz sports and WRX. The rears will of course be WRX, after the hub swap.

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
fronts are the same as ours so you can reuse your current ones, rears are larger, so you need to go 06-07 wrx specific size on that one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts