Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the Forum and I'm just about to buy a Forester - And was wondering if any of you 'Forester Experts' might be able to advise me on the best decision, please.

I have the opportunity to buy either a 2005 Forester MY05 XS with Auto Levelling Suspension - OR - a 2005 MY06 model with viscous coupling and drive-by-wire (elect. throttle control). The MY06 also has slightly higher power and torque spread over a wider rev range. However, it doesn't have the auto levelling suspension. What would you guys steer towards?

Thankyou in advance,

Anthony:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2003 Forester X Auto
947 Posts
All 5 speed Foresters have the viscous coupling. It's what transfers power front to rear and allows for the front and back wheels to turn at different speeds as required in a turn. It is a 50/50 torque split until slippage occurs and then it can transfer power to the front or rear depending on which has traction. If the '05 XS is an auto then it has a computer controlled clutch pack in the transmission that proportions torque between the front and rear. Normal split is 60/40(F/R), but can be locked 50/50 by selecting 1 or 2 on the auto selector. At least that's North American models. The self levelling suspension is only important if you carry heavy loads or tow a trailer fairly frequently, otherwise the standard suspension should fill most needs. It's also alot more money to replace/repair when the time comes.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
not sure about down under but i believe NA all production was electronic drive-by-wire throttle 2005+ and XT (turbos) a year (or more) prior.

i tow 2000 lb popup with regular suspension. no problems.

the auto leveling might be cool but i wouldn't bother getting it if it cost much more. it will cost more to repair/replace at some point. i think there are more cars there with it than in NA?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'd skip the self leveling suspension. It won't last as long as standard, has more of an impact when damaged (on SLS equipped models, the SLS feature controls the suspension height), and will cost more to replace. Not really any benefit to it at all.

However, at least in the us market, the XS model got disc brakes all around while the X got drums in the rear (although the XS became the "X premium" in later years)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts