Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Foz XT that I love but she’s unfortunately given me nothing but problems since I bought her, she has 135k miles/217 km. I got a rocket rally 3” up pipe and down pipe and the Cobb access port tuner. I’ve replaced all the fuel lines as they cracked, fixed a ground wire, replaced the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, thermostat and changed all the fluids in the car just recently. And now it’s starting to overheat, I got it confirmed by a shop that it is the head gaskets. I love the car and I don’t want to let her go but I’d like your guys opinion. If I fix the head gaskets will it be the end for awhile and can I get quite a few more good miles out of it or will I need a new turbo and have to fix the tranny shortly after? Is there any other common problems at this high mileage that I’d be facing as well? Thanks in advance - Chloe

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
861 Posts
Personally, as you've already invested time and money in your car, if you can afford the HG repair then I would do that. The replacement MLS gaskets are usually a permanent fix. If your transmission is working fine now then I wouldn't be expecting problems down the line.

Oh and - hello and welcome to the forum, Chloe!!

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 Xten
66 Posts
I got my HG repaired just over 2.5 years ago. Have around 20,000 miles put on the car since then and it's running great. I had planned (back in 2017) to change the car in 2020 but i'm not going to now as it's still going strong (185,000 miles on the car in total).

Have you checked your radiator? I would replace that along with the two rad caps. What made mine overheat was the oil crossover pipe (at the bottom of the rad) rusted out. If you're going to spend the money doing the HG get as much else of the engine replaced / upgraded as you can afford.

Have you any heat coming out of your internal vents when the engine runs hot? If the air is cold and you've the temp dial turned up to max, that's a sign of a blown HG. Best of luck!

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5 Xten
66 Posts
oh, and make sure the Gasket that's put in is the thickest one available. I got a Cosworth gasket put in to mine. Can't remember the exact thickness - might have been 1.5mm?

·
Registered
2009 Legacy
498 Posts
I’ve replaced all the fuel lines as they cracked, fixed a ground wire, replaced the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, thermostat and changed all the fluids in the car just recently. And now it’s starting to overheat, I got it confirmed by a shop that it is the head gaskets.
I'm not doubting the abilities of your mechanic, but there are some things I'd look at before I'd accuse the head gasket:

Edit: how did they determine it was a head gasket? With the radiator cap off, do you see bubbles coming out of the filler neck? Did they do a block test? Any coolant mixed in with the oil (it will look like a brown milkshake)? Any white smoke coming out of the exhaust continuously?

When you (your mechanic) replaced the pump, he likely replaced the thermostat as well. Subaru thermostats have a 'jiggler valve' on the top. It really is just a hole with a two links of a light-pull-string-looking contraption on it - one bead on each side. That 'jiggler valve' needs to be mounted up. It is there to make sure the effect of cavitation created by the pump have someplace to go. If that valve is mounted 'jiggler valve' down, it can create over heating.

You may want to make sure there aren't any slugs of air in your cooling system. Subarus (among other far eastern cars) are notorious for needing to be 'burped' when you replace the coolant.
Try this on a cold car:
Park it with the front end on the curb or run it onto a ramp. You want the nose to be up.
Open the radiator cap. Take the top radiator hose off, where it meets the radiator. Leave the engine side alone.
Pour as much coolant into that hose as you can. Quickly reconnect it to the radiator.
Start the car, turn the heat on but leave the radiator cap off.
Using a funnel**, fill the radiator. Goose the engine a bit, squeeze the top radiator hose to burp it. You'll periodically may see air coming out of the funnel. Just keep filling it, as much as it wants. Do this at least until you see the engine temperature gauge to be in the normal range and you indeed have hot air coming out of the vents but do be careful to not let your car overheat. If it does overheat, stop the engine, let it cool down and try again.
Eventually, it will not want more. Stop the engine and replace the radiator cap. It should now be burped.

(** This Lisle funnel is perfect for this job because you can plug it up when it won't take more and won't easily let air in, won't fall out, etc)

·
Registered
2001 Forester
516 Posts
I have an 05 Foz XT that I love but she’s unfortunately given me nothing but problems since I bought her, she has 135k miles/217 km. I got a rocket rally 3” up pipe and down pipe and the Cobb access port tuner. I’ve replaced all the fuel lines as they cracked, fixed a ground wire, replaced the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, thermostat and changed all the fluids in the car just recently. And now it’s starting to overheat, I got it confirmed by a shop that it is the head gaskets. I love the car and I don’t want to let her go but I’d like your guys opinion. If I fix the head gaskets will it be the end for awhile and can I get quite a few more good miles out of it or will I need a new turbo and have to fix the tranny shortly after? Is there any other common problems at this high mileage that I’d be facing as well? Thanks in advance - Chloe View attachment 525002
Welcome aboard. If it was me, I would get a 2nd opinion on the overheating. Other's have mentioned the possibilities of improperly installed thermostat, not air bleeding the cooling system properly. But if it truly is HG, considering the exterior appearance based on the above picture, I would get the HG replaced and keep driving. It's a great vehicle and wish I could find one in that condition and such low miles.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts