Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4AET
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearly at 180,000 miles and the check engine light came on recently with flashing cruise control light. The error code is P0031. I ordered a replacement sensor which just arrived today. I started removing the plastic guard underneath the car to get to the front O2 sensor, but then noticed quite a bit of rust and two holes near where the front O2 sensor goes. Are these holes aren't supposed to be there? If not, what is this particular part that needs replaced? Thank you.

Also, in my searching I found a reference regarding Front O2 Sensor Recall (Subaru service program number WXW-80) that apparently applies, but it does not come up when I search my VIN at https://www.subaru.com/vehicle-recalls.html. Anybody have more information about this recall? Thanks again!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,739 Posts
My first thought was that those are drain holes for the heat shield. If those are holes are in the heat shield, I'm going to guess it won't affect the front O2 sensor & give you a
P0031 CEL code?
P0031 SUBARU Possible Causes:
• Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1
• Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 harness is open shorted to ground
• Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
• Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit fuse
• Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT 4EAT
327 Posts
That photo doesn’t provide a lot of context but I’d have to agree with Bobby.

That should be your heatsheild for your exhaust manifold and cross pipe.

Check this out:

Could prove helpful. I’m not sure all recalls are honored for older cars. Our XTs are almost 15 years old!

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL
1,618 Posts
Those are water weep holes on the header's heat shield. Any recall would not be applicable towards a vehicle with 180k miles and 15 years old

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5XT 4AET
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first thought was that those are drain holes for the heat shield. If those are holes are in the heat shield, I'm going to guess it won't affect the front O2 sensor & give you a
P0031 CEL code?

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]
I put the car up on ramps and completely removed the plastic guard from underneath the car. I was able to confirm that the holes were just in the heat shield, as you mentioned. I replaced the sensor, cleared the code, and everything has been good again so far.

Thank you to everybody who replied. I always appreciate the help provided on this forum!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts