Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XS
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, new here to the forum and have a "burning" question - I have a 2005 XS with 87k miles, and seem to be using a quart of oil every couple of months. I don't see any evidence of a leak in my driveway. My local repair guy told me that Subies have known head gasket issues, and I'll need that replaced. My dealer told me that it's normal to use a quart of oil every 1,000 miles at this age. Anyone have any advice, comments, etc?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,497 Posts
I see that this is your first post, so welcome! I once lived in College Park.

That's not an especially unusual amount of oil to burn. One thing to check is the gasket on the oil filler cap. Mine disappeared on both my cars, so I had nothing to compare against till somebody else pointed it out to me. Consumption went down nicely when I replaced them.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,803 Posts
Personally to me a quart every 1000 is to high. It shouldn't do that. You either have a broken ring or engine abuse.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
Do check the complete PCV system for clogs and proper operation. When the piston and bore wears the chance for ring flutter ocurring under light load / high rpm increases exponentially and you will see oil usage from 700- 2000 miles/qt. Rebuild is the answer, but may be cost prohibitive at this point. Immediately, a somewhat more viscous oil will help a bit. If you are running Mobil clean 5000 5w-30, at your next oil change use 2 qt of 10w-40 Mobil clean in the mix. Also try Shell Rotella T-5 10w-30 or Pennzoil High Mileage 10w-30.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Welcome! My sis is getting her MBA at University of Maryland, I'm becoming more familiar with your area every visit.

I agree that 1 quart every 1,000 miles is too much.

As a comparison, I have an '03 XS 5 speed with 120k VERY hard miles on the clock. He goes through 1/2 quart every oil change (2800 miles).

·
Registered
2004 FXT / 2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,680 Posts
SoA will tell you 1 qt. per 1,000 miles is normal, but I agree that it's too high.

I recommend switching to a High Mileage oil. If you want to find out if you have a head gasket leak, do a used oil analysis.
Blackstone Labs

-Dennis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts