Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new here and have been searching around here and have found fantastic information, I do need some advice however.
I purchased my first Subaru 5k miles ago (two months). It’s a 05 forester x manual. It had 142k on the dash but they person I bought it from claimed to have swapped in a ‘’ lower mileage engine’’ with no paperwork to back it up. I did see poxtures of the swap and that the timing and pulleys were all done. (Pulled cover and confirmed) with quality parts. Head gaskets were done aswell. Car runs great and has no rust which I liked greatly. It had an exhaust leak and needed window regulator. Got it for 2500 bucks which I thought was a decent deal.
Now as of about 2 weeks ago I noticed I started the car and had a plume of blue smoke come out. Nothing too crazy but alarming none the less. Checked the oil was down about a quart and it drove fine and didn’t smoke at all on the drive. I parked overnight and started in the morning same thing happened but I wasn’t low on oil. I immediately Thought valve guide seals. Now for my dilemma.
I just bought a compression tester to rule out rings hopefully. I have never worked on a Subaru engine before but have worked on countless other engines aswell as diesels.
if the compression test is good I’m going to assume it’s just the valve seals which is what I’m hoping.
My question is if I were to buy a whole engine with a spun bearing can I send out those heads to be done and put them onto my car with no issues that way I don’t have any down time ?
I want to get a blown engine and rebuild it so I understand the boxer engine more and feel better owning the Subaru. It is my first one and I’m hooked I will not lie. But I don’t have a spare car and can’t gomore than 2 or 3 days without one so that’s what is making me want to buy a blown engine and use those heads.
Sorry for the long post wanted to be as thorough as possible. Thanks a ton for all of the great info !! I love it here.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,542 Posts
Take heads off your current engine, send the heads off for complete overhaul.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I picked up a spare set of heads to send them out to get rebuilt it wouldn’t be the same as my current head s? I just can’t lose my car for a week which is what the shop told me.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,542 Posts
So if I picked up a spare set of heads to send them out to get rebuilt it wouldn’t be the same as my current head s? I just can’t lose my car for a week which is what the shop told me.
Why not rent/borrow a car? Would that not be less expensive? Taking heads from another engine, especially a blown engine is risking inheriting problems from other owner.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts