Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Searched forums for an answer but couldn't find one for this question, maybe you can help.

I have a 2005 Forester X with a tear-drop fob. It will not activate the lock/unlock chirp when following the instructions in the manual. There is no alarm system hooked up and if a door is open when hitting lock it will give the warning chirps that a door is open so the beeper is still functioning, just won't work when locking/ unlocking.

Beeper in the grill and harnesses look clean but haven't inspected the leads.

Any idea what could be the problem with it?

Thanks for any input!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,847 Posts
@Wal-Flop 23 did you followed the instruction below? :confused:
To turn the audible signal on, unlock the door by pressing the “UNLOCK/DISARM” button and then simultaneously depress “LOCK/ARM” and “UNLOCK/ DISARM” buttons for more than two seconds. An electronic chirp will sound one time and the turn signal lights will flash one time to inform you that the audible signal has been turned on.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have tried the instructions multiple times from the manual with no luck. Although it will still sound off multiple chirps if a door is open when trying to lock it. It will not turn on for normal lock/unlock.

·
Administrator
40,847 Posts
Although it will still sound off multiple chirps if a door is open when trying to lock it.
More questions: :confused:

[1] Are you hearing the chirps coming from the chirper mounting in front of the radiator?
[2] Are the chirps solid, or erratic?
[3] Is there a security light flash in the instrument cluster?

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bobby,

1. Yeah the chirps are coming from the front only when a door is open when trying to lock the vehicle.

2. No not erratic, any time the door is open when hitting lock it will consistently chirp 3 times letting me know a door is open.

3. No there is no security system hooked up in this forester. Security light isn't flashing either.

I wonder if it's something with the teardrop fob? Not sure if it's an aftermarket or subaru one.

Maybe I should take a picture of that?

Thanks for the continued investigating.

Tab

·
Administrator
40,847 Posts
That appears to verify the chirper is functional.

Does the remote fob lock & unlock the doors? If so, then the issue could be the "Keyless Entry Control Module"? :confused:

Any of the remote fobs below will work on your Forester. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I think I found the problem, the fob seems to be aftermarket. Opened it up and there's a production date of 2017 and the ignition key looks like it's a copy. Also it doesn't look like any of the pictures you posted. My guess is they lost the original set.

It does lock/unlock the doors but it must not be able to activate the chirp. Also sorry about punctuation. Trying to make paragraphs but it just keeps cramming it into a wall of text (phone).

Thank you Bobby, I've been able to figure out a lot of problems from other posts you've made as well. Great community we have here.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I don't think they have a remote start installed. Fob is just generic with lock/unlock only, looks similar to the middle picture but the buttons are different in design. I don't think it can recognize that lock and unlock are being pressed at the same time hence it can't turn chirp on or off. It does have a serial number.

If I could find out how to post a picture from my phone.... I'd show you what it looks like. :sad:

·
Administrator
40,847 Posts
That's looks like a standard remote fob, one like it is pictured in the group of remotes that I posted on my previous post. If the lock & unlock function work, then the remote fob is functional & should be able to program the audible chirp on or off.

Assuming the audible chirp is not disabled, the Keyless Control Module could be faulty? :confused:

Below is the wiring diagram for the Keyless Entry System. My Subaru technical service documents skip over the '05 model year, so I posted the wiring diagrams for the '03-'04 & the '06-'08. Note that Subaru calls the chirper a keyless buzzer. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

'03-'04

'06-'08

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay I programmed my 04 fob to the car and turned the chirp on right away. I was looking at the group of fob pictures you posted compared to the one I have here and if you look at my unlock button you can see that it is slightly different. There's also no subaru brand name anywhere on it. Problem solved though, cheap 3rd party fob<Genuine Subaru fob. 😀

1 - 13 of 13 Posts