Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does the prop shaft have two sections where the splines are missing? See bottom right and top left here:

When I looked at the gearbox output male splined section it was fully populated so it wasnt like it was keyed... which is what I thought it was for?

Another example below... prop shaft and end view

Capture3.JPG
Capture2.JPG

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I said above but there were no special double mating spines in the gearbox out shaft so the prop shaft could be inserted in any alignment

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,758 Posts
As mentioned above for alignment but only for when it is being balanced ??

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,992 Posts
As mentioned above for alignment but only for when it is being balanced ??
Apparently they all like this , ive asked the question. So the male side is not the same which possibly rules out alignment and balancing .

Still its an interesting subject whilst drinking a tall gin crush (the world cant be that bad)

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
971 Posts
I would doubt the alignment suggestion - even if only it also appears to the threaded? I mean, you can't have a threaded insert that then matches up to an alignment key... because once you get so far in and the keys meet, then you can't thread it any further.

Unless the threaded section is for a completely different part - like a securing nut to hold the shaft in once aligned... so a separate piece.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,758 Posts
I would doubt the alignment suggestion - even if only it also appears to the threaded?
Your "threaded" area is coarse machine turned finish.

Reactions: Lockheed
1 - 10 of 10 Posts