Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read some people have had issues with some brands/types of front sway bars, so i'm wondering what fits the best. I'm looking to buy a 24mm FSB (adjustable would be a plus).

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
I know that some have had problems with the COBB front bar but I love mine, no problems here!

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Yeah people have problems with the STI specific COBB FSB, but not the Forester specific FSB. You can actually have problems with the COBB RSB too, since the endlink tabs on the stock Forester LLs are a tad off when lowering the vehicle.

But yeah, doesn't Whiteline make a Forester specific 24mm FSB? Or is it 22-24 or 22 only?

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,962 Posts
I run a 22mm Perrin adj. and no issues at all with KB endlinks.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
800 Posts
Yeah people have problems with the STI specific COBB FSB, but not the Forester specific FSB. You can actually have problems with the COBB RSB too, since the endlink tabs on the stock Forester LLs are a tad off when lowering the vehicle.

But yeah, doesn't Whiteline make a Forester specific 24mm FSB? Or is it 22-24 or 22 only?
yea they do.. i just purchased 2 FXT specific Whiteline swaybars (front & rear) for a good price from Import Image.. almost about the same price of used ones!! PM them on NASIOC.. they can hook it up..

also if you decide to get a Whiteline FSB with KB front endlinks.. make sure you get the KB whiteline swaybar spacers.. its $4 from Kartboy

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
those spacers are also a good idea for the rsb if your endlinks don't sit straight.. going to pick up two sets.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've had my 27mmWL adj with stock endlinks and 24mmWL adj with clunky box end links for many years now. Nice fitment. I need to replace the rear endlink (worn/loose heim bearings) though.

At first, I was concerned about the front endlinks and LCA tabs breaking off, but it hasn't happened. I think the lower cg in the lowered configuration keeps the body roll and in effect the sway bar loads on the endlinks/tabs low.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I think my Whiteline is STi/WRX fitment, I got it used. KB endlinks, no spacers, works for me. I can post pictures.

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm going to order a Perrin bar. Not sure if I should go 22mm or 24mm...

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
I recently replaced the hollow 25mm Cobb STI fsb to SG9 Cusco hollow 23mm. So far it seems to be a+ swap...not to mention the creaking has stopped.

I don't think it really matters...Perrin/Hotchkis, WL, Cusco, Cobb...

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,962 Posts
I think I'm going to order a Perrin bar. Not sure if I should go 22mm or 24mm...
Same size bars front/rear is always a good idea. Unless you want to auto-x where you really need to control the front-end roll.

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
FWIW, on OzFoz XT666 had a Perrin front bar on his SG STi and was having some fitment issues with it. He has since replaced it with a Whiteline one and it has been better if I recall.
I would think that the Perrin one is basically an STi one whereas the Whiteline one is actually made to fit an SG Forester so it would fit better. You can check out his thread on OzFoz or just PM him here to see what kind of issues he was having with the Perrin bar.
Also FWIW, I order SF turbo specific WL bars from Import Image as well and they were A+++ in price and service.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Be weary of hollow bars. I know of two autox guys that have snapped them. They seem to be more suseptable to breaking for obvious reasons.

I believe a solid same diameter bar will be stiffer than a hollow one. At least that's how it was iirc, unless they've increased the wall thicknesses and changed material to avoid the breaking issues...

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've seen quite a few snapped Cobb/Hotchkis bars, but then those were also on cars that were driven HARD.

I found a Perrin 22mm adjustable bar for $75, so I think I'm give that a shot. If my boy Phil (Abacall) likes his, I think it would be a good choice for me too! If not, they are easy to resell.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Limited
1,870 Posts
I have a Cusco fsb, not sure what size.. I'll measure later. I hope it fits well. It was for an STi.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,869 Posts
I have a whiteline 24mm fsb and love it. I'm also using the kartboy spacers. Other than that, there are no fitment issues.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,962 Posts
I found a Perrin 22mm adjustable bar for $75, so I think I'm give that a shot. If my boy Phil (Abacall) likes his, I think it would be a good choice for me too! If not, they are easy to resell.
I think you'll love it. Mated to the rear Perrin you've got (you ever put that on?), it'll feel really well balanced.
What strut/spring combo are you on now?
EDIT: Checked your profile. Swifts work well with that. I've ran that exact setup for a year, felt really nice.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I currently have Swifts and the Perrin 22mm RSB with Kartboy endlinks in the rear, and Noltec endlinks up front. I've had the rear bar on for a few days now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts