Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Forester XT Turbo. Every now and again, it will decide that it does not want to start. Or it will fire then stall after a second or two. It will then just turn over without starting. Plenty of cranking amps and is turning over very freely. Might take another ten or so attempts and the car will finally start. Once it does, the car runs and drives perfectly. No missing, surging or coughing.
Time of day, outside temp or engine temp, seems to make no difference. It is not an immobiliser issue, as the car is recognising the key.
Car spent 3 days at mechanic and as is typically the case, it started perfectly every time he tried it. It is not showing any error codes on the mechanics scan tool.
Anyone encountered a similar issue or have any ideas.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
788 Posts
did the mechanic scan all the Control Modules (TCM, BCM, ECM etc)?

Is there a strong smell of fuel, after you've been cranking it over for a while?

When it eventually starts, does it run a bit rough, with the exhaust smelling rich, and/or with a bit of smoke? or does it just fire up normally, and idle normally?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply and help.
Yes apparently he did scan all of the control modules as listed. Well he said he did, I can only take him at this word.
No there is no smell of fuel whilst it is turning over but failing to start.
When it eventually starts, the car runs perfectly straight away. There is no spluttering or rough idle and the exhaust does not smell rich.
The problem is also sporadic. It will start perfectly for a few days and then plays up again. Might do it 3 or four times in a row or do it once then start straight away again and repeat.

My next port of call was going to be our local Subaru Service Centre to have them put it on their diag scanner, but I have dealt with this particular dealership before and I am not necessarily confident in their diagnostic ability.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
788 Posts
My first guess would then be, a possible fuel related issue.

When you normally start the car, do you notice the electric fuel pump working? Listen for the sound, when you switch the key to ‘On’ (no crank). Then try to take note if the pump is coming on, when the engine fails to start.

You could first look over the fuel supply system. Check fuses (partial blow, poor connection), relays (intermittent operation, bad connections), and earth connections (loose, corroded connection).

Also check fuel filter (may be in tank, attached to pump), fuel pump operation (on/off, output pressure), pressure regulator, and kinked flexible lines etc.

Next might be fuel injector circuit.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts