Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, if you are reading this maybe you can help. I have a 2006 Subaru forester with avls. The timing belt broke and bent a couple valves. I have a spare 2005 Subaru foreater that tuns great but the body is beat up badly. Both engines look identical. Just wondering if i could get away with swappping the engine from the 2005 into the 2006 to save time. Ive had a couple people tell me it would be a big hasstle and that i just need to get the valves, gaskets, and timing kit for the 06. Sadly i dont have the money or much time to mess with it. :cry:

·
Registered
2004 Xt Stick
16 Posts
Not going to work, the ecu will be looking for the signals from the avcs which the 2005 motor doesn’t have. You could get it to run but won’t be ideal. Did the piston crack when it hit the valves. If not check you lower end and find a used head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fozzy, did you go ahead and try this? I’m in the middle of the same swap. I had a rusty (read that as VERY rusty) ‘05 Impreza with a great engine. I found an ‘07 that had jumped time and thought the engine swap would be easy. I’m using the engine wiring from the ‘07, as ‘07 only has the one plug and ‘05 had two, I’m just not using the plugs for the avcs system or the pcv. I will be using the ‘05 ecm if it plugs into the interior wiring, which it should, so the ecm shouldn’t be looking for the avcs or the electronic pcv valve. I’ll keep you posted

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, it won’t work. Pin out on ecu’s are different. Even though the plugs fit, the car won’t start. And with the ‘07 ecu the check engine light disables cruise control. I have the ‘07 heads at the machine shop now and will be converting the ‘05 soon. Peace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.