Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 5 Speed Manual
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I noticed just recently that my manual 2005 Subaru Forester XS with a 2.5l EJ25 SOHC engine with 190k miles has an external engine oil leak and I'm almost sure it's coming from the driver side head gasket. I would take it slow and monitor the leak speed for a while and put off changing the gasket for a bit but I'll be making a 2500 mile road trip in about a 2 weeks and won't have garage space to fix it once I'm in California for the year. I'd love to tackle the job while I have the help of my brother and dad for the next two weeks.

With all that being said, do you guys have any tips for me as I tackle this? Maybe a part list that you'd recommend? I am planning on keeping the engine in the car as I'd rather not have to purchase or rent an engine lift. What other things would you recommend me replacing while I'm in there? Should I replace the Passenger side head gasket even though there is no sign of a leak right now? I am thinking about just getting a FelPro Gasket kit to replace all the gaskets that I need to. What are your opinions on that? I'd love all the help that I can get. Thanks guys!

Tyler

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,935 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts