Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
European Forester manual tr. comes with 'subaru dual-range transmission'. US model does not. As I undestarnd that feature is necessary if off-roading (getting out from show, mud, etc). Why US models are lack of it?

Min

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
kertuojai said:
Hi,
European Forester manual tr. comes with 'subaru dual-range transmission'. US model does not. As I undestarnd that feature is necessary if off-roading (getting out from show, mud, etc). Why US models are lack of it?

Min
Why? I suppose because Subaru USA didn't know how to market it here.

Necessary for offroad? Nah. The Subaru low range isn't that low, and it's only available on the manual transmission normally aspirated cars. Since the low range isn't very low, it doesn't help much for controlling speed on downhills, so that leaves uphills. An automatic gives you a much lower low with the torque converter, works better on uphills.

In my dream world, the US Forester would have 2" more ground clearance, a 2.5:1 low range and locking center and rear differentials.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
So I am unlucky 05 Forester-X manual tr owner :sad:
I wouldn't call you unlucky!!

A dual range trans. is NOT necessary for off roading

I'm not sure what type of off roading but "usually" you'll be fine

We've got a jeep also, with the dual range, low range.. and I rarly use it

In my dream world, the US Forester would have 2" more ground clearance, a 2.5:1 low range and locking center and rear differentials.
lol that sounds exactly like a jeep :)

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Euro markets get it because they also have the 2.0L instead of 2.5L. So they have less torque from the engine but more torque multiplication from the low range, however with the 2.5L or the 2.5 turbo its really not necessary.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
This configuration seems to vary by market. For example, the Australian Forester XS with the 5MT is equipped with both the 2.5 L engine and the 1.196 dual-range transmission.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2009 2.0D Exclusive
31 Posts
The advantage of a dual range transmission is not only torque. My diesel Foz has 350 Nm but without the dual range it's not possible to drive really slow without wearing out the clutch. I really miss it.

@mountainBiker: Just lift your Foz. I lifted mine a few weeks ago. Now it has nearly a ground clearance of 10" (215 mm + 30mm lift). Looks pretty good.

Greetings from Germany,

Jevil

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,785 Posts
The advantage of a dual range transmission is not only torque. My diesel Foz has 350 Nm but without the dual range it's not possible to drive really slow without wearing out the clutch. I really miss it...
For that kind of driving in the US the automatic transmission is available. Several people in this forum have said the automatic is better than the manual for "stump crawling".

·
Registered
2009 2.0D Exclusive
31 Posts
Automatic ist much better for offroading, I agree. But the diesel was only available with the 6-speed manual when I bougt it in 2009.
The CVT "Lineartronic"-Transmission comes next year for the Forester. But that's no reason for a change.

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
Low Range comes into its own on snow covered steep highway where you can crawl up at low revs - everyone else spinning wheels like mad or slipping clutches . Going downhill the same . No frantically going into neutral to take drive off!. After last years bad winter and the start of this one I'll never go to an auto. Wife has a 2.5 Legacy auto and it cant hold a candle to the 2.0 dual range manual Foz in these conditions..

·
Registered
2001 Forester Dual-Range Manual
614 Posts
Not US but world wide. That would be awesome. Even as standard an extra 1" clearance, locking diffs, 2:5:1 lowrange and still have Subaru's AWD. That would make an excellent all rounder car.

·
Registered
2001 Forester Dual-Range Manual
614 Posts
The advantage of a dual range transmission is not only torque. My diesel Foz has 350 Nm but without the dual range it's not possible to drive really slow without wearing out the clutch. I really miss it.

@mountainBiker: Just lift your Foz. I lifted mine a few weeks ago. Now it has nearly a ground clearance of 10" (215 mm + 30mm lift). Looks pretty good.

Greetings from Germany,

Jevil
The diesel Forester in Australia has the Dual-Range transmission. With some mods that could be a excellent offroad machine. If I had $50,000AU I would get one.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X
11 Posts
is there any durability issues in using low range with eg 5th gear? When towing, I find the car handles the smaller hills better with the 500 extra rpm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts