Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 2.5 Turb Manual
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So my Stage 1 Exedy clutch is on the way out now I have upgraded the engine it has a few too many torques for the Exedy... If I go for a 'proper' drive, and use full power, it gets a bit burning clutch smell when I stop :rolleyes: I'm obviously only driving it softly for the time being which seems OK...

I've been recommended to get a Xtreme clutch, however I'm unsure exactly which one to get and I was wonder what my fellow Foresterteers think?

Also, I have a JDM 6-Speed grearbox fitted and I'm not sure if a clutch that a website says fits a standard 2005 2.5 XT will still work with the JDM gearbox upgrade? or whether instead I need to look for a different one (Impreza maybe?)

I have found this one, but as I said, it says it's fits a 2.5XT, but I'm not sure if it will with the JDM box:
Demon Tweeks - xtreme-clutch-outback-stage-2-clutch-kit-225mm-sprung-cerametallic-plate

Any help and thoughts will be appreciated :)

NB, I have ~350hp and ~360tq...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,811 Posts
I have been led to believe a five speed clutch will fit a six speed but a six speed wont fit a five speed, xtreme clutches are very good, just a bit judder when breaking in (100 miles odd)
Break in of these clutches are very slow speed slipping so slow town driving is the best. My xtreme clutch lasted 50k at 450 to 500hp.
Ive got a competition clutch now rated to 700hp and the brake in was horrid it took 1500 road miles, i would not recommend this clutch at all.

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
346 Posts
Are you sure you are not resting your foot on the clutch or have the bite point setup wrong so its against the stop and not fully released? It must be really worn to slip during road driving.

I say that as have the same power as you and my Subaru original clutch was on its last legs (basically down to the friction plate bolts when I replaced it), it was fine with fast road driving but couldn't launch at all. Replaced it with a Competition Clutch stage 2 last year which was been great.

500 mile break in period for the stage 2 but its a really decent clutch, feels very slightly stiffer than OEM but can handle a high rev launch easily.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely not resting on the pedal etc. - I think the car is producing more power than the clutch can handle when I proper floor it, so it slips a bit. As I said, no smells on easy driving when not putting much power down.
The Exedy clutch I have is about twice as stiff as OEM :( so anything closer to OEM would be good lol
What do you mean by "but couldn't launch at all"? would the clutch slip if you tried? or something else?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same as what I have had... I thought the wheels were spinning once (maybe they were) but now I think it was just clutch slip lol...

The Exedy Pink Box clutch has been in there 3 years now (~14,000 miles) Engine upgraded ~ a year and a half ago, so it's done it's work I guess :|

Still leaves the question, will a clutch for the standard 5-speed setup on 2.5XT work if I have a JDM 6-speed gearbox. I know @Lockheed seems to think so, but I need something more certain (no disrespect lockheed! I know you know your stuff, but you didn't sound too certain?! lol)

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,811 Posts
Same as what I have had... I thought the wheels were spinning once (maybe they were) but now I think it was just clutch slip lol...

The Exedy Pink Box clutch has been in there 3 years now (~14,000 miles) Engine upgraded ~ a year and a half ago, so it's done it's work I guess :|

Still leaves the question, will a clutch for the standard 5-speed setup on 2.5XT work if I have a JDM 6-speed gearbox. I know @Lockheed seems to think so, but I need something more certain (no disrespect lockheed! I know you know your stuff, but you didn't sound too certain?! lol)
Ive been wrong before🤣

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
346 Posts
If you have the 6 speed box then use the clutch that's sold to fit it. Dont spec an item for hardware you no longer have.

5 speed friction plate is 230mm, 6 speed is 240mm. Will is correct that a 5 speed would fit but fit a 6 speed clutch (along with a 6 speed flywheel) as you have a 6 speed! You will also need 9 clutch cover bolts as the 5 speed only uses 6 bolts. (I have spares in the garage I think which I can send you)

Dont forget to skim or replace the flywheel whilst it's open, red Loctite on the flywheel bolts is needed

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,811 Posts
Just to add to what Neil said if your fly wheel is a lightend one it will be made out of an EN numbered steel, once this has been burnt through it cannot be safely skimmed the metal will just be too hard and the risk of shattering is hard to ignore.
Best to buy new every time on performance fly wheels.

If your fly has blue colours in any part get shot of it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool, thanks for your replies. I'll have a look for one that will hopefully fit the 6 speed... :confused::giggle: wish me luck lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK, Just to put some conclusion to this... The smell I was smelling turned out to NOT be from the clutch! - It was actually a binding brake pad on the front (also accounted for the occasional wobble upon braking). I checked the discs with a dial gauge, no warping detected, then replaced the pads and found they were VERY hard to get out, and also the new ones needed the paint filing off the edges to get them to fit! - Hopefully they don't now rust into place :| but I am no longer getting any smell after a hard drive, no more wobble, and braking is overall improved as well! (I went for RedStuff pads)
Dan.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm literally just at the end of running in period, so will let you know (sure I'll remember 🤣)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts