Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 5mt
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking into developing my own splitter, for myself, not for production. I'm viewing this as an open source deal...

I have access to a laser cutter and a full sheet metal shop at work.

I was wondering if anyone had drafted up parts to a splitter for our cars, naturally I'm not expecting subtle and those who sell them to share their designs, but I know we've got crafty people here. Just wanted to see if anyone has gone down this road and would be willing to share their work with a fellow DIYer?

I like the products others offer, but the price points are always prohibitive to me.

If no one chimes in I'll probably mull away and scale a scan of it, and do a little trial and error for fitment... this certainly isn't my day job.

I'm mostly looking for the base plate that attaches to the hood.

So... any open source DIYers willing to share?

*I'm not looking to steal any companies design.*

I am mostly wanting to get a base plate for this part, preferably of an OEM template. As I view getting the mating surface right as a LARGE portion of this project, regardless of if I get a full design I still intend to tweak the fit of the guide veins, the duct, and the vent to my liking.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I do ok in AutoCAD. :biggrin: If you want to post some dimensions, I can CAD just about anything.

This was just a concept I put together a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
I too am researching splitters. The Subtle splitter is an extraordinary piece, but it only fits the larger '02-'03 STI scoop, which I'm not really that fond of.

I'm trying to figure out how to mate the OE FXT hood scoop to a splitter that will cover the large Perrin TMIC I am using. Right now, I think one of the versions of the Grimmspeed splitter will fit the FXT scoop, but the skirt will need to be extended downward to reach the top of the TMIC - which should be no big deal to do. It's also obvious that the GS splitter is not in the same league as the Subtle in terms of build quality, but apparently it is lighter.

In my case, since I'm running an oversize TMIC for the VF48 and the fact that I'm also using chemical intercooling, I sincerely doubt the smaller scoop will make any difference at all performance-wise, but will be far more stealthy.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Limited 5speed manual
59 Posts
I work in SolidWorks all day, every day, and could do full models and drawings if someone had dimensions, or a finished unit they wanted me to measure and draw.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Manual 5 speed
21 Posts
I do ok in AutoCAD. :biggrin: If you want to post some dimensions, I can CAD just about anything.

This was just a concept I put together a long time ago.

Ok I have a stupid question, what is the purpose not having the deflector vanes extend the full length of the TMIC, but having the flat wire mess portion on the passengers side?

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sports XT AutoTragic
329 Posts
The mesh area sits right over the turbo. The design is intended to allow dispersal of heat coming off the turbo so it doesn't get collected and re-circulated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The mesh area sits right over the turbo. The design is intended to allow dispersal of heat coming off the turbo so it doesn't get collected and re-circulated.
That's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure. Thanks

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Tried may hand at making my own. Still have a little more work before I mount it, but I'm happy with how its turning out so far. FYI material is 20 gage 304 Stainless
Nice work!

We opted to go with aluminum on our splitter design. Much lighter material and better for heat/cooling temps. Also, with an aluminum hood on the XT's, having an aluminum splitter made sense when it came to our hood struts and their gas pressure lifting capabilities. I guess they all tie into one big project and one big formula for why we design things the way we do.

Regardless, A+ on your efforts!

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sports XT Manual
219 Posts
Tried may hand at making my own. Still have a little more work before I mount it, but I'm happy with how its turning out so far. FYI material is 20 gage 304 Stainless
Nice job on the DIY. Obviously you have a few more resources than most of us, but it's probably not costing you $400 either :huh:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice job on the DIY. Obviously you have a few more resources than most of us, but it's probably not costing you $400 either :huh:
Thanks, no cost to it at all other than time, got it mounted Friday, I'll have to snap a couple more pictures. I don't know how good of a measure this is but my intake air temp as measured by AP 3 is never more than 10 degrees higher than ambient.

·
Registered
2007 FXT vf37 swapped 4EAT w/ VDC
783 Posts
Thanks, no cost to it at all other than time, got it mounted Friday, I'll have to snap a couple more pictures. I don't know how good of a measure this is but my intake air temp as measured by AP 3 is never more than 10 degrees higher than ambient.
Unless you've relocated the temp sensor, it's measuring at the MAF.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5-speed
53 Posts
I am wanting to do something similar to your design, but make it mount to the IC instead of the splitter. Did you consider this option as well?

Love the design!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am wanting to do something similar to your design, but make it mount to the IC instead of the splitter. Did you consider this option as well?

Love the design!
Thanks, I did consider that, but ease of mounting led me in the other direction. I would have had to come up with an arrangement to mount to the IC. Mounting to the hood allowed me to use the old splitter as a template.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
541 Posts
Nice work!

We opted to go with aluminum on our splitter design. Much lighter material and better for heat/cooling temps.
I didn't realize how much heat stainless socks up until I replaced the mufflers on my motorcycle. I went from stainless steel stock mufflers with hear shield that you couldn't even get close to after a spirited ride to titanium mufflers that I can touch with my bare hand after the same ride. No need for heat shields.
Not a fair comparison of course since the original have cats and so many baffles that I'm not sure how any gas even got out. But still.
If aluminum is any close to titanium when it comes to heat dissipation, then an aluminum splitter definitely gets my vote.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts